World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


ETAN Urges Justice For East Timor Attrocities

ETAN Urges New Indonesian President to Pursue Justice for Victims of East Timor Occupation


October 19, 2004 - On the eve of retired General Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's inauguration, the East Timor Action Network (ETAN) today urged Indonesia's new president to actively pursue justice for crimes committed by Indonesian security forces in East Timor.

"The East Timor Action Network congratulates the people of Indonesia for their remarkable series of elections and urges President Yudhoyono to make a priority of justice and human rights protection," said John M. Miller, spokesperson for ETAN.

"The new Indonesian administration's efforts toward justice for East Timor will be viewed as a litmus test by all those who care about human rights, accountability and democracy," said Miller. "The international community will be watching closely to see whether President Yudhoyono sets aside his military loyalties to pursue genuine reconciliation and justice for the people of East Timor."

"One key indicator will be Indonesia's attitude toward the commission of experts, which UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan is expected to appoint soon," said Miller. The commission will examine the two existing processes to prosecute serious crimes committed in East Timor in 1999 and propose next steps.

"The U.S. Congress continues to view the lack of accountability for crimes against humanity and war crimes committed in East Timor as a key reason for restricting military assistance to Indonesia," said Karen Orenstein, Washington Coordinator for ETAN. "President Yudhoyono should heed regular calls by Congress for Indonesia to cooperate with the UN-mandated serious crimes process in East Timor."

"The continued restriction of U.S. military aid sends an important signal to the new Indonesian government that Congress believes military reform is vital to democratic progress in Indonesia," continued Orenstein.

ETAN advocates for democracy, justice and human rights for East Timor and Indonesia. ETAN calls for an international tribunal to prosecute crimes against humanity that took place in East Timor since 1975 and continued restrictions on U.S. military assistance to Indonesia until there is genuine reform of its armed forces. See www.etan.org for more information.

Background

Indonesia set up an ad hoc human rights court in early 2000 to deflect calls for an international tribunal in response to the Indonesian military's 1999 campaign of terror in East Timor. While six of the 18 people tried were convicted, only the convictions of the two East Timorese tried have been upheld on appeal.

The UN Security Council mandated the establishment of the Serious Crimes Unit (SCU) to conduct investigations and prepare indictments to assist in bringing to justice those responsible for crimes against humanity and other serious crimes committed in East Timor in 1999. It also created the Special Panels to hear serious crimes cases. More than two-thirds of those indicted in East Timor currently reside in Indonesia. A number of indicted senior military and police officials and militia are active in military operations in Aceh and West Papua.

In September, the U.S. Senate agreed to continue restrictions on Foreign Military Financing (FMF) grants and loans for weapons and other military equipment and training, pending cooperation with SCU, including the extradition of those indicted. Additional conditions call for military budget transparency; U.S. certification that the armed forces are "not committing gross violations of human rights;" and that the government is prosecuting members of the armed forces accused of abuses or aiding militia groups and punishing of those guilty of such acts.

Last week, departing U.S. Ambassador to Indonesia Ralph Boyce said that he was disappointed that U.S.-Indonesia military relations remain restricted due to Jakarta's failure to improve its human rights record. "After three years we have not in fact substantively changed our relationship with (the Indonesian Armed Forces) all that much because the much-touted East Timor ad hoc trials on human rights violations didn't produce anything," Boyce said.

Citing "grave concerns over the prospects for real military reforms," 45 members of the U.S. Congress recently called possible State Department plans to provide FMF for Indonesia in 2006 "premature, unwarranted, and unwise."

Representatives of more than 70 U.S. organizations wrote to Secretary of State Colin Powell in September opposing Bush administration plans to expand military assistance to the Indonesian military.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news