World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Italy To Allow Stranded Asylum-Seekers To Land

UN Refugee Agency Hails Italy’s Decision To Allow Stranded Asylum-Seekers To Land

The United Nations refugee agency has welcomed the Italian Government’s decision to allow 13 Turkish asylum-seekers – who had been stranded for almost two weeks aboard a commercial freighter in the Mediterranean Sea – to land in Sicily.

UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) spokesperson Jennifer Pagonis said yesterday that “the heartening news” meant Italy has fulfilled its obligations under international and European law.

The 11 men and two boys disembarked from the Lydia Oldendorff, a commercial freighter, Saturday night in the Sicilian port town of Augusta. They were given medical checks and transferred to an asylum centre in Sicily.

Ms. Pagonis said the asylum-seekers were in good health, despite the physical and psychological toll of the last two weeks’ events, and were “obviously extremely relieved to be off the boat.”

She thanked the ship’s owner, Matthias Dabelstein, and its captain and crew “for the patient and responsible way in which they handled this difficult and drawn-out episode.”

On 9 October the Lydia Oldendorff docked in the Italian port of Gioia Tauro, where the asylum-seekers were discovered, hiding in a container being unloaded from the ship.

After being taken to local police, where the group said they were unable to claim asylum, they were returned to the freighter, which then travelled to the Maltese capital of Valletta. They were not allowed ashore and the vessel was escorted into international waters.

Since 15 October the Lydia Oldendorff has been moored off the coast of Malta as UNHCR officials held talks with Italian and Maltese authorities to try to resolve the impasse. The ship’s owner agreed to delay its scheduled return journey to Turkey.

During the stand-off UNHCR warned that returning an asylum-seeker to their country of origin without hearing their claim violates the fundamental principles of international refugee law and could amount to refoulement, or the forced return of a refugee to a place where they face persecution, torture or death.

© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news