Rocket Attacks Fired From Southern Lebanon
UN Envoy Voices Concern Over Rocket Attacks From Southern Lebanon
The United Nations envoy to Southern Lebanon today expressed his serious concern over repeated violations of the line marking Israel's withdrawal from the area after two rockets were fired from the Lebanese side on Monday.
On numerous occasions, both in reports to the Security Council and various statements, the UN has called on the Lebanese Government to exercise its control over all of its territory, said Staffan de Mistura, the Personal Representative of Secretary-General Kofi Annan for Southern Lebanon, in a statement from Beirut.
In a briefing to the Security Council yesterday, Terje Roed-Larsen, the UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East, also mentioned the incidents of firing from inside the Lebanese territory.
"So far this year, there have been at least six incidents of firing of rockets from within the Lebanese territory apparently directed across the Blue Line," said Mr. de Mistura, adding that Monday's incident was the third firing in the past six weeks.
While noting that Beirut has committed itself "to halt such infringements and have attempted to identify and arrest the alleged perpetrators," he urged the Lebanese Government to "redouble its efforts to ensure that such dangerous violations cease immediately."
He also called on all parties "to do their utmost to continue the relative calm that still exists and remind them that one violation does not justify another."