World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Envoy For Sudan Condemns Brutal Aid Worker Murders

UN ENVOY FOR SUDAN CONDEMNS 'BRUTAL' MURDER OF HUMANITARIAN WORKERS IN DARFUR

New York, Dec 13 2004 3:00PM

The top United Nations envoy for Sudan today condemned ''in the strongest terms'' the ''brutal'' murder of two workers of an international humanitarian organization in the strife-torn western Darfur region, and called on all the Government, rebels and militia to respect the principles of international humanitarian law.

"The fact that the workers themselves seem to have become the target of fighting poses severe difficulties for humanitarian access, with grave consequences for assistance in the future," said Secretary-General Kofi Annan's Special Representative for Sudan, Jan Pronk.

The two national workers for Save the Children (UK) were killed when a convoy of clearly marked humanitarian vehicles came under attack in an area where the organization operates a feeding centre and medical clinics. "Humanitarian workers are fully neutral and have come to assist victims of violence in Darfur," he said.

The UN has called Darfur, where some 1.7 million people have been displaced and Janjaweed militias stand accused of killing and raping thousands of villagers after rebels took up arms last year to demand a greater share of economic resources, the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

Mr. Pronk reminded the Sudanese Government of is responsibility to protect humanitarian workers in its territory.

Mr. Pronk's deputy, Manuel Aranda da Silva, is in El Geneina in West Darfur on a two-day visit to discuss protection issues with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), among other bodies.

The African Union (AU), which is operating a monitoring mission in Darfur, said it would bring any serious violations to the UN Security Council.

Meanwhile, AU-sponsored talks that were due to resume on Saturday in Abuja, the Nigerian capital, in a bid to end the 22-month conflict between the Government and the rebel groups, the Sudan Liberation Movement/Army (SLM/A) and the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM), have yet to get underway since key SLA figures have yet to arrive, the UN Advance Mission in Sudan (UNAMIS) reported.

2004-12-13 00:00:00.000

For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news