Maldives Orders Treason Charges Withdrawal
The President Orders the Withdrawal of Charges of High Treason and of Public Disorder Offences
- The President has today ordered the withdrawal of charges of high treason and charges of public disorder offences following the incident of August 12-13 this year. The announcement was made in the President’s message to the nation on the eve of the New Year.
In his message the President said that the nation was approaching the New Year reeling from the tragic devastation caused by the tsunami that struck the Indian Ocean on Sunday. He said that the extensive physical devastation caused by the tsunami had through into sharp relief the true spirit of the people which had ensured the survival of the nation throughout the centuries. He said that amidst the ruins of the destruction rise the nation’s unity, the community spirit, the compassion, the brotherhood and the solidarity of the people. He pointed out that throughout the country people were finding solace and succor in the community spirit and in national unity. He also said that reinforcement of these values was the urgent call of the nation and would be essential for the nation to recover from the destruction.
Stressing that he was committed to doing everything to promote and sustain that spirit, he said that he had ordered the withdrawal of charges of high treason and public disorder offences following the incident of 12 and 13 August 2004.
He said that his objective was to ensure that everybody could attend to the work of national reconstruction as the highest priority. He also said that it was his desire that everyone was able to contribute sincerely, in the true public spirit and with regard to law and order, to the reform programme that he initiated last year.
• For information of the effects of the tsunami on the Maldives, please refer to http://www.presidencymaldives.gov.mv, the official website of the President’s Office. Please also refer to the website for donations.