World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


LEGAL ACTION AGAINST MEDIA 'ONLY LAST RESORT'

LEGAL ACTION AGAINST MEDIA 'ONLY LAST RESORT'

By Muninggar Sri Saraswati

JAKARTA (Jakarta Post Online/Pacific Media Watch): President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has reiterated his support for press freedom, promising that the government would settle disputes with the media out of court.

Communications and information minister Sofyan Djalil said on Thursday that the President was committed to supporting the development of a free and professional media as it was a major part of democracy.

"We will continue to use hak jawab (the right to respond) as we know that
media reports are not always accurate," Sofyan said at a press briefing after
accompanying the President at a meeting with the Indonesian Journalists
Association (PWI).

However, the President recently sent a team led by Sofyan to visit the offices of Kompas, the country's leading newspaper, and Rakyat Merdeka newspaper to convey displeasure at articles on post-tsunami issues, which the government deemed opinionated.

"We exercised our right to object to the articles carried by the two dailies, and the case is closed," Sofyan said, explaining the visits.

However, he said the government would not hesitate to bring a dispute with
print or electronic media to the Indonesia Press Council if its right to
respond was ignored.

"We will only use the legal approach as a last resort," Sofyan asserted.

Susilo acknowledged that a number of articles on the media in the Criminal
Code were products of Dutch colonial rulers and were unsuited to current
conditions, Sofyan said.

"However, we need to develop a benchmark for the Indonesian media. Even in
countries with well established democracy, the press must abide by regulations
and code of ethics," he said.

Last year, Tempo magazine chief editor Bambang Harymurti was found guilty in
a defamation case against businessman Tomy Winata. Tempo also lost a civil
lawsuit in connection with the case and was ordered to pay US$1 million in
compensation. The magazine has appealed the verdicts.

Rakyat Merdeka, a newspaper known for its sensational headlines, lost
separate libel cases last year against president Megawati Soekarnoputri and
House of Representatives speaker Akbar Tandjung. Two of its editors are appealing their
six-to-eight-month prison terms.

During Thursday's media conference after the meeting with the President, PWI
chairman Tarman Azzam said Susilo would attend the celebration of National
Press Day on Feb. 9 in the Riau capital Pekanbaru.

"The President is set to hold talks with people at the event," he said.

The PWI commemoration of the day has drawn public criticism because the Rp 6
billion (US$666,600) event, which features a national sports competition, will
reportedly be financed by the Riau budget.

Riau Governor Rusli Zainal, who accompanied Tarman at the press conference,
did not deny the reports, saying his administration often disbursed funds from
the provincial budget for social events.

Critics have lashed out at the Riau administration for spending so much money
for the PWI event.

They also accused the PWI of being insensitive to the suffering of tsunami
victims in Aceh and North Sumatra, including fellow journalists.

Tarman said the PWI got funding from other sources apart from the Riau
government to finance the event.

Responding to the criticism, Tarman said there was no need to draw out
compassion for Aceh.

"We don't need to be sad for a long time. We should support Aceh to rise
again. The event is a part of our attention toward the Acehnese," he said,
arguing
that the PWI had raised funds for its members in Aceh.

Tarman said the committee would cover travel and accommodation costs of
delegates participating in the National Press Day celebration.

The PWI will also present awards for exceptional reports on post-tsunami
Aceh, he added.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news