World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Haiti: Nearly 500 Prisoners Escaped From Prison

UN Mission In Haiti Says Nearly 500 Prisoners Have Escaped From National Prison

Nearly 500 prisoners escaped during an “armed commando” attack on the national penitentiary in Haiti’s capital over the weekend, but the Haitian police joined in returning two jailed ministers from the government of former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, the United Nations mission in the Caribbean country said.

The UN Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) deplored what it called the “serious events” which took place Saturday at the National Penitentiary in Port-au-Prince from which, following the violent intervention of an armed commando, 481 prisoners were able to escape.

It accused some penitentiary workers of having collaborated with the attackers and said there were serious gaps in the security system. It offered the Transitional Government its assistance in finding the escapees and in reducing the backlog of people awaiting trial.

Three prisoners, including ex-Prime Minister Yvon Neptune and former Interior Minister Jocelerme Privert, were returned to the penitentiary, “at their request and wish,” MINUSTAH said.

Last month the Security Council urged the Transitional Government to review the cases of people being held without formal charges or trial. “In this regard, the Council calls on MINUSTAH to continue its support for the provision of human rights training to Haitian judicial, police and correctional authorities to ensure adherence to international norms and standards.”

The former Prime Minister already had served nearly a year in prison without any sign of legal action, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Haiti, Juan Gabriel Valdas said then.

One Haitian police officer, Jean Marie Guerrier, died during the events, it said, adding its condolences to his family and the Haitian National Police (PNH).

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:


Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Mexico: Violence And Repression Of Teachers

The member organizations of Network for Peace express our indignation over the acts of repression that the Mexican State has carried out, through the police forces... In Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca, the conflict has resulted in murders of teachers and civilians as well as hundreds of wounded and dozens of people arrested. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Britain's Pleas For Mercy

So… Boris Johnson is promising that he won't be holding a snap general election, if he's chosen as the next UK Conservative Party leader. Reportedly, he is even making that promise a feature of his leadership campaign, since a vote for Boris would therefore mean (wink wink) that his colleagues wouldn't have to risk their jobs and face the wrath of the British public until 2020. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news