World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN MIssion Urges Congo To Confine Arrested People


UN Mission Calls On Dr Of Congo To Confine People Said To Have Been Arrested

The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has called on that country's Government to confine the militia leaders that had been arrested in the eastern region, saying the detainees had been put under house arrest and appeared able to move about and communicate freely, the UN spokesman said today.

After the deaths of nine UN peacekeepers and some 50 militia members over the past week, the situation in Ituri district was relatively calm, Fred Eckhard quoted the UN Organization Mission in the DRC (MONUC) as saying.

MONUC expressed concern, however, that although the National Transitional Government said it had arrested several of the people named in the Security Council's presidential statement on Wednesday, "these persons have been put under house arrest. Some even appear to move about freely and to retain means of communication," the spokesman said.

In a statement read at a formal meeting by this month's Council President, Brazilian Ambassador Ronaldo Mota Sardenberg, the 15-member body identified the perpetrators of last Friday's ambush and murders of the UN peacekeepers as members of the Nationalist Integrationist Front (FNI).

The Council blamed such leaders as FNI president Floribert Ndjabu and former FNI force commander Goda Supka, who were said to have been arrested along with Germain Katanga of the Forces of Patriotic Resistance in Ituri (FRPI).

"The Mission is calling on the Government to truly arrest these people and bring them to justice, Mr. Eckhard said.

Meanwhile, the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) said the renewed fighting and the killing of the UN peacekeepers had caused the withdrawal of UN staff members from much of the eastern DRC, cutting vital humanitarian aid to an estimated 54,000 displaced civilians, more than two-thirds of whom were women and children.

"These people sought sanctuary with the UN from the fighting. First forced to flee their homes, we've now been forced to abandon them because we can't be sure that our own staff won't be killed," UNICEF Executive Director Carol Bellamy said from London.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news