World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Shortage Cuts Food Rations In Darfur


Funding Gap Forces UN Agency To Cut Food Rations In Darfur

With United Nations officials preparing for a donors’ conference next week to raise reconstruction funds for southern Sudan, the World Food Programme (WFP) today announced that a drastic shortage of money will force the agency to cut the rations of more than one million people affected by the separate conflict in the country’s western region of Darfur.

WFP said that starting in May it will have to cut by half the non-cereal part of the daily ration, a last resort to help stretch current food supplies through the critical months of July and August – the region’s traditional lean months, when food needs become most acute.

“The people of Darfur need urgent aid. They don’t have other options,” said Carlos Veloso, WFP’s Emergency Coordinator for Darfur. “We have done everything to avoid this, including borrowing supplies – we are simply left with no alternative.”

While the drastic cut will not affect programmes for malnourished children and nursing mothers, WFP said it was very concerned about the effects it will have on the health and psychological well-being of thousands of people already weakened and traumatized bay war.

Other UN agencies warned that lagging funding, along with poor security throughout the war-torn area on Sudan’s western flank, may imperil other relief efforts. Cautioning that the next 18 months were likely to be very difficult, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said that due to the security situation, it only has access to 5 to 10 per cent of the territories and one third of the 6 million inhabitants in the three Darfur states.

Meanwhile UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan will travel to Oslo, Norway, to address the opening on Monday of a two-day donor conference for Sudan, organized by the Norwegian Government. The gathering will be the primary forum for the international community to pledge support for the reconstruction phase that started with the signing of a peace agreement on 9 January, which officially ended the two-decade-long civil war in Sudan’s south.

The Acting High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Wendy Chamberlin, will also attend the conference before heading to Darfur to get a first-hand look at the agency’s operations there. Some 550,000 refugees and an estimated 4 million internally displaced persons (IDPs) from south Sudan remained uprooted.

In Oslo, she plans to brief the donors on UNHCR’s urgent funding needs. The agency had been seeking $60 million for its return and reintegration programme in south Sudan, but says that so far, less than $5 million had been received. The agency’s budget for operations in Darfur is more than $31 million but less than $2 million has been received.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news