World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


New Influx of Rwandan Asylum Seekers in Burundi

New Influx of Rwandan Asylum Seekers in Burundi Concerns UN

New York, May 20 2005 11:00AM

The United Nations refugee agency today expressed concern for thousands of Rwandans living in crude, makeshift encampments along the Burundian border, desperate to escape retribution from village courts set up to try people suspected of involvement in the 1994 genocide.

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said its office in the Burundian capital, Bujumbura, reported the new influx of Rwandans into Burundi. The asylum seekers say they fled because of fears over the “gacaca” tribunals looking into the Rwandan genocide, but also cited threats and rumours of massacres and revenge attacks as reasons for leaving their country.

The agency’s partners on the ground estimate that some 3,000 to 3,500 new arrivals have come from Rwanda this week, bringing the overall total of asylum seekers in Burundi since early April to 7,000. Most of the latest arrivals are staying at two border crossing points, Busiga and Mwumba.

Last Friday UNHCR reported that makeshift transit sites along the Burundian border were rapidly emptying as thousands of Rwandan asylum seekers left, either to go home or to hide in neighbouring areas. The agency also voiced concern at the time of reports from some asylum seekers that they had suffered intimidation by the Burundian army to force them to go back to Rwanda.

By the end of last week, all but one of the seven temporary sites along the border were empty. Some 1,500 asylum seekers remained at the border site of Marangara, while around 2,000 remained further inland in two centres that were set up earlier to provide them with better assistance.

“Our concerns for these people remain the same. The sites on which they are staying have no facilities – no shelter, often no access to water, and no latrines. A large proportion of the asylum seekers are women and children,” said UNHCR spokesman Ron Redmond. “We are still requesting authorization to move the asylum seekers to our inland transit centres – Canzuko and Songore.”

UNHCR had started moving the previous group of asylum seekers to these two camps in mid-April, but the Burundian authorities halted all transfers a week later.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news