World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


No Response to Appeal for Famine Aid for Niger

UN Gets No Response to Appeal for Aid As Famine Stalks Drought-Stricken Niger

New York, Jun 2 2005 3:00PM

An emergency United Nations appeal for $16 million to feed millions of people caught in a looming, “silent crisis” and restore farming in Niger has received no response, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said today.

“To date, not a single dollar has been pledged to the Flash Appeal,” OCHA said of the appeal to help some 3.6 million people – including 800,000 children under the age of five – in the drought-stricken landlocked country.

Among the priorities identified under the humanitarian response plan for the arid West African country were treating malnourished children under 5 and pregnant women, increasing food availability, supporting existing health services, ensuring livestock survival, increasing seed availability and reducing migration flows, it said.

The Consolidated Appeals Process (CAP) requested just over $8 million for the agricultural sector, $6.75 million for the food sector, $1.35 million for the health sector, and just $50,000 for coordination and support services, OCHA said.

The food crisis was compounded by the worst locust invasion in 15 years, which wiped out a portion of the harvest last year.

A least developed, low-income, food-deficit country, Niger ranked 176th out of 177 countries in the United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) 2004 Human Development Index.

The Government developed a mechanism to prevent or lessen the impact of food crises, to which France, the European Union (EU) and Italy have contributed regularly, but the food stocks and funds managed by that mechanism for this year have been fully mobilized to meet about half the needs of the crisis, and will soon be depleted, OCHA said.


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news