World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


UNICEF Needs $8.2 Million for Palestine Operations

UNICEF Urgently Needs $8.2 Million for Its Operations in Palestinian Territories

New York, Jul 8 2005 12:00PM

With only 36 per cent of funding so far received for its operations in the occupied Palestinian territory, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said today it urgently needed $8.2 million for health services, educational and psychosocial support for youngsters there.

Although a gradual easing of restrictions by Israel and a reduction in the use of lethal force has been observed in the West Bank and Gaza since February, resulting in a marked decline in the number of deaths and injuries of children, their rights continue to be challenged in terms of access to health and quality education services.

Children have few opportunities for recreational activities, and for leading normal lives. Ironically, the increased calm has meant that children are playing closer to formerly restricted areas, exposing themselves to the very real danger of unexploded ordnance, UNICEF added in its latest update.

Emergency contingency plans by UNICEF in coordination with other UN agencies and non-government organization (NGO) partners in preparation for Israel’s planned withdrawal from Gaza and parts of the West Bank provides for pre-positioning of supplies in health, water and sanitation, education as well as adolescent programmes.

“After more than four years of conflict and continuous violence, children are still living with distress and continue to be vulnerable,” the agency said, referring to the youngsters’ psychosocial well-being. “The chronic anxiety, undermined self-esteem and feelings of loss of control being felt due to the erosion of households' coping mechanisms adversely affect family relationships.”

From January to end-June, 9,000 children in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank attended debriefing sessions with the teams of trained psychologists and social workers, aimed at reinforcing their capacity to cope with distress.

UNICEF's original $12,720,884 appeal for 2005 has been increased to $14.2 million. To date, about $5.1 million has been received.


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news