World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Detained Uzbeks In Kyrgyzstan Should Be Resettled

Detained Uzbeks In Kyrgyzstan Should Be Resettled In Third Country – UN Expert

New York, Oct 18 2005

A United Nations human rights expert today called on Kyrgyzstan not to return four detained Uzbeks to their homeland where torture is reported to be systematic, but to facilitate their resettlement in a third country.

At the same time, the Special Rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers of the UN Commission on Human Rights, Leandro Despouy, expressed deep appreciation for the Kyrgyz authorities’ “courageous decision” to facilitate the resettlement of 450 other Uzbeks who had fled after what the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has said may have been a mass killing.

The four had been held at a camp in Kyrgyzstan together with the 450 others but were arrested after extradition requests by the Prosecutor-General of Uzbekistan. Four others were involuntarily returned to Uzbekistan in June under what are still unknown circumstances. The Uzbeks fled to Kyrgyzstan in the immediate aftermath of violent events in Andijan, eastern Uzbekistan, on 12 and 13 May.

“The Special Rapporteur expresses grave concern with regard to the fate of the remaining four Uzbek citizens. He also notes that they have already been in Kyrgyz detention facilities since mid-June,” Mr. Despouy said in a statement following a visit to Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.

Noting that the Special Rapporteur against Torture of the UN Commission on Human Rights has concluded that torture is systematic in Uzbekistan, he voiced concern over pressure on Kyrgyzstan and attempts by Uzbek agents on Kyrgyz territory to return the four to Uzbekistan.

He stressed that international treaties ratified by Kyrgyzstan contain the prohibition against the return of any person to another state where he or she may face a real risk of torture.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news