World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Morocco Grants UN Refugee Agency Access

Morocco Grants UN Refugee Agency Access To Sub-Saharan African Migrants

New York, Nov 8 2005 12:00PM

The United Nations refugee agency has been given access to more than 40 sub-Saharans in Morocco with agency documentation and hopes to interview others later this week, an agency spokesperson said today.

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) last month sent a three-member team to Morocco to interview dozens of sub-Saharan Africans with agency documentation reportedly being held in various parts of the country after having been picked up by the authorities in a crackdown on irregular migration.

At the time, UNHCR called on the Rabat Government not to forcibly return them to a country where they might face persecution.

The UNHCR team spent three days last week interviewing more than 40 such migrants, on a list of 85 people of concern to the agency, in a civilian location near Guelmin camp in southern Morocco. Their claims for refugee status are currently being assessed, spokesperson Jennifer Pagonis told a news briefing in Geneva today.

“Later this week, UNHCR hopes to get access to Nador camp near the Spanish enclave of Melilla to interview other individuals on the list,” she said. “In cooperation with the Moroccan authorities, we are trying to identify the location of the remaining persons of concern.”

Meanwhile, the agency is continuing to receive asylum requests in Rabat. “We are reviewing our internal asylum procedures so as to more rapidly and transparently identify asylum seekers with valid claims,” Ms. Pagonis said. “We hope to clear our backlog of 1,700 pending cases in the coming weeks.’

Since 2000, a total of 265 people in Morocco have been recognized as refugees.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news