World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Saudi Arabia: Teachers Silenced, Blasphemy Charges

Saudi Arabia: Teachers Silenced on Blasphemy Charges

Courts Again Punish Open Discussion by Teachers With Prison, Flogging

A Saudi court has sentenced a high school chemistry teacher to more than three years in prison and 750 lashes for talking to his pupils about his views on a number of current topics, such as Christianity, Judaism and the causes of terrorism.

In Qassim province, north of Riyadh, the prosecution department pressed blasphemy charges against Muhammad al-Harbi, labeling the teacher an “apostate,” after his students and fellow teachers filed legal complaints against him. The judge in the case, `Abdullah Dakhil, reportedly accused the teacher of “trying to sow doubt in a student’s creed.” On Saturday, a court in Bukairia banned him from teaching and sentenced him to 40 months in prison and public flogging of 750 lashes.

“Despite recent education reforms, the Saudi government is imprisoning schoolteachers for having open discussions with their students,” said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director at Human Rights Watch. “As long as schoolteachers face persecution for doing their job, Saudi children will lose out.”

Al-Harbi’s case is not an isolated instance of imprisoning teachers for expressing their views. In March 2004, a General Court in Riyadh banned Muhammad al-Sahimi, a former teacher in middle school and high school, from teaching and sentenced him to three years in prison and 300 lashes, also for expressing his views in a classroom. The court found him guilty of endorsing allegedly un-Islamic sexual, social and religious practices. The Saudi deputy minister of defense and aviation, Prince `Abd al-Rahman bin `Abd al-`Aziz, personally involved himself in the matter, initially ordering al-Sahimi’s arrest before any formal charges had been pressed.

The government based its case against al-Sahimi, a teacher of Arabic, on his discussion of the varying concepts of love in poetry. Religion teachers at his school interpreted his words to constitute apostasy. Court documents charged al-Sahimi with declaring listening to music, smoking, adultery, homosexuality and masturbation as permissible under Islam. Al-Sahimi denied the charges.

Both al-Harbi and al-Sahimi had introduced students to issues they encounter in their daily lives. Al-Sahimi broached topics such as sexuality with his students, who were between 13 and 15 years old. In response to the bomb attacks on foreign and Saudi civilians in Riyadh in May 2003, al-Harbi reportedly discussed Christianity, Judaism and the dangers of terrorism with students and posted signs against terrorism around his school. Al-Harbi also encouraged his students to engage in critical thinking to resolve apparent differences of meaning between the text of the Koran and the words and deeds of the Prophet Muhammad (sunna). Saudi Arabia asserts that since February 2002 it has begun a review of its curricula, and a number of school textbooks have since been altered.

In August, King Abdullah pardoned four reform advocates jailed by a Riyadh General Court for publicly advocating an overhaul of the education system, among other demands. Judge Sa`ud bin `Abdullah al-`Uthman ruled in al-Sahimi’s case as well as the reformists’. In May, he sentenced one of the reform advocates, Matruk al-Falih, to six years in prison for his “false allegations … and interpretation of violence in Saudi Arabia.” According to court documents, the judge based his ruling on Falih’s comments that those who “take part in acts of violence are the product of the Saudi environment and its schools and their educational policy.”

“Instead of protecting freedom of expression, the Saudi judiciary is imprisoning those who advocate for genuine education reform,” Whitson said.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news