World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

China, Mine Blast Update: 148 Dead, 3 Missing

Mine Blast Update: 148 Dead, 3 Missing

As at 9:00 PM Tuesday, the death toll from the coalmine blast in northeast China was confirmed at 148.

Rescuers are still searching for three miners believed to trapped underground.

According to rescuers, the dead include 146 miners and two female workers who were found dead in the ground generator room on Tuesday afternoon.

221 miners were working underground when the explosion occurred at 9:40 PM Sunday at the Dongfeng Coal Mine run by the Qitaihe branch of the Longmei Mining (Group) Co. Ltd. in Heilongjiang Province.

72 miners were rescued, 47 of whom are suffering from gas poisoning, according to Shi Guicheng, deputy president of the General Hospital of the Qimei Group.

"Many of the injured are recovering after treatment in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber," said Shi, who added some miners were also suffering from post-traumatic stress.

Only one miner suffered head injuries and he was also treated for gas poisoning, Shi said.

Shi said four more medical specialists are scheduled to join the three medical experts at the hospital who are treating the injured miners.

Body identification and compensation work started on Tuesday.

A spokesman of the Longmei Mining (Group) Co., Ltd. said the relatives of every dead miner will receive 200,000 to 220,000 yuan (US$24,660-27,100) in compensation.

As at 9:00 PM Tuesday, the relatives of more than 20 dead miners signed the compensation agreement.

Li Yizhong, head of the National Bureau of Production Safety Supervision Administration, and major senior officials of the province are organizing the rescue operation at the accident site.

The Heilongjiang provincial government held an emergency videophone conference on Monday afternoon ordering safety checks on all mines in the province.

Mines which do not meet production safety criteria will be immediately closed down.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Rohingya Muslims Massacred: Restrictions On Aid Put 1000s At Risk

Amnesty: The Myanmar authorities’ restrictions on international aid in Rakhine state is putting tens of thousands of lives at risk in a region where mainly Rohingya people are already suffering horrific abuses from a disproportionate military campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf: Gordon Campbell On North Korea, Neo-Nazism, And Milo

With a bit of luck the planet won’t be devastated by nuclear war in the next few days. US President Donald Trump will have begun to fixate on some other way to gratify his self-esteem – maybe by invading Venezuela or starting a war with Iran. More>>

ALSO:

Victory Declared: New Stabilisation Funding From NZ As Mosul Is Retaken

New Zealand has congratulated the Iraqi government on the successful liberation of Mosul from ISIS after a long and hard-fought campaign. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Current US Moves Against North Korea

If Martians visited early last week, they’d probably be scratching their heads as to why North Korea was being treated as a potential trigger for global conflict... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Lessons From Corbyn’s Campaign

Leaving partisan politics aside – and ignoring Jeremy Corbyn’s sensational election campaign for a moment – it has to be said that Britain is now really up shit creek... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 
 
  • Pacific.Scoop
  • Cafe Pacific
  • PMC