World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN Presses for Return of Hutus from Congo

UN Mission Continues to Press for Return Home of Hutu Rebels from Dr of Congo

New York, Nov 30 2005 7:00PM

Noting that more than 12,000 foreign militia members have been repatriated from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and about the same number remain, the head of the United Nations mission said the programme has reached its limits and the mission is increasingly joining with the DRC army to put pressure on those staying behind.

"At present, our programme is and remains a programme of voluntary repatriation. We have repatriated on that programme somewhat more than 12,000 militia, of whom about two-thirds are Rwandans, that is, the ex-Rwandan army and the Interahamwe, many of whom were involved in the genocide of 1994," the Special Representative of the Secretary-General and head UN Organization Mission in the DRC (MONUC), William Lacy Swing, said.

"We have come up against the limitations of that programme in the last year, however, we are increasingly doing joint operations with the Congolese army to put pressure on these groups to enter our programme and to return to Rwanda," he added.

Another 1,500 to 2,000 Ugandan elements are based in North Kivu province and a Burundian Palipehutu-FNL element moves back and forth across the border in South Kivu, he said. "So, we will be using an increasing combination of political, military and legal pressure, including the likelihood of sanctions by the Member States of the 'Tripartite Plus Commission," Mr. Swing said.

The Tripartite Plus Commission comprises the DRC, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi, with the UN, African Union (AU) and the European Union (EU) as observers and the United States as facilitator.

Some 12,000 to 15,000 foreign ex-combatants are left in the DRC and, together with their family members, the total to be repatriated may be 30,000, Mr. Swing said, adding, "That's a lot of people."

"We have the wherewithal to help these people to go home if they come into our programme. We have set up six transit sites on the Congolese side of the border in North and South Kivu. The Rwandans themselves have added three demobilization centres to the two that already existed. So, on both sides of the border, we are ready to take these people home, and we're just waiting for them to come," he said.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

UNHCR: More Than 300 Die In Boat Tragedies On Mediterranean

The past few days have been the deadliest this year for people making irregular crossings on the Mediterranean from North Africa to Europe More>>

UN: Egyptian Crossing Used To Bring Food Aid To Gaza
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) successfully crossed from Egypt into the Gaza Strip today, carrying enough food to feed around 150,000 people for five days More>>

ALSO:

Extended Cease Fire: Gaza Celebrates!!!!

Images and video from Gaza.Scoop - Julie Webb Pullman in Gaza. Gazans took to the streets tonight to celebrate their victory in achieving the end of hostilities and the lifting of the illegal seven-year siege. Whatever tomorrow may bring, tonight was a time to rejoice! More>>

ALSO:


Iraq: Killing Of Dozens Of Sunni Worshippers In Eastern Iraq

22 August 2014 – Condemning in the strongest terms the reported attack on a mosque in eastern Iraq, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on all Iraqi authorities to ensure that the attack is properly investigated and its perpetrators held to account. More>>

ALSO:

  • UN Watch - UN Urgent Session on Iraq, Demands "Concrete Outcomes"
  • UNICEF: Honours Life, Tireless Work Of Richard Attenborough

    Film producer and director Sir Richard Attenborough was introduced as the new Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) on 28 October 1987. UN Photo/Milton Grant More>>

    UN: Flight Restrictions Hamper Ability To Battle Ebola

    UNICEF and partners visit a crowded market in Conakry, Guinea, to explain to vendors how they can protect themselves and their families from Ebola. Photo: UNICEF Guinea More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news