World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Slow Progress in Cases of 1990s Missing Kuwaitis

UN Report Sees Slow Progress in Resolving Cases of Kuwaitis Missing as a Result of Iraq’s 1990 Invasion

New York, Dec 12 2005 6:00PM

Progress in returning to Kuwait the remains of its nationals and others killed during Saddam Hussein’s 1990 invasion and subsequent occupation of the country has been slow because of the prevailing insecurity in Iraq, Secretary-General Kofi Annan says in a new report to the Security Council.

“Kuwait continues to face no small task in locating mass graves and in recovering and identifying mortal remains,” Mr. Annan writes, adding that he is “hopeful that new findings will take place next year and more files will be closed.”

The Secretary-General commends the “constructive” stance by the new Iraqi administration, praising its initiatives on the return of missing Kuwaiti nationals and their remains, as well as Kuwaiti property.

But he says it is troubling that there has not been more information regarding Kuwait’s missing archives. “More than two years have elapsed since the removal of Saddam Hussein’s regime, and access was seemingly gained to all areas where the seized documents could possibly be located,” he says, calling on all parties to address the issue.

Mr. Annan’s report followed a visit to Kuwait last month by the High-Level Coordinator on the issue, Yuli Vorontsov. Ambassador Vorontsov has also led a joint Kuwait-Iraq mission of experts to Tunisia in September which found that spare parts and an engine belonging to Iraqi aircraft found in that country belonged to Kuwait.

“This is further evidence of the illegal removal of items from Kuwait by the previous Iraqi regime,” he says, urging the Tunisian Government to facilitate their return to Kuwait.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news