Black Box Voting's "Candid America" '06 Project
Black Box Voting Launches "Candid America" '06 Project
ELECTION 2006: Now is the time to start. Join the Black Box Voting "Candid America" project. Grab your video camera and catch vendors and public officials in the act of being themselves -- the good, the bad and the shameless.
It's a Black Box initiative, but we're setting this one free. It is crucial for all citizens to re-learn how to act independently of any organization. This is the best way for true citizen oversight to become a national habit.
There can be NOTHING MORE DAUNTING to any corrupt public official than an autonomous ordinary citizen with all-American ingenuity. Take courage. The truth is you do not need any group, coalition, master plan or agenda. You can do this thing and Black Box Voting will be there with encouragement and guidance if ever you should need it.
- Start now, and keep it up as often as you can on the road to Election 2006
- Keep your battery charged
- Keep extra blank tapes available
VIDEOS ARE LIKE AN AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD & A BOX OF CHOCOLATES
Don't leave home without it, because you never know what you're gonna get.
THROUGHOUT THE 2006 ELECTION CYCLE, CAPTURE ANY PART OF::
-- public meetings
-- certification hearings
-- ballot preparation
-- election-related activities by third-party vendors
-- any meetings you are able to schedule with vendors or public officials
-- early voting procedures
-- election training activities
-- pre-election equipment and materials transport and handling
-- voting day activities
-- VOTE COUNTING (all phases including videotaping chain of custody)
-- "depots" and drop-off sites
-- "spot check audits"
-- absentee ballot processing
-- mid-election and post-election equipment and materials transport and handling
-- explanations policies and procedures
-- explanations of any "glitches"
-- post-election canvassing meetings
-- any obstructive behavior, intimidation tactics, evasive or nonresponsive actions
- The goal is to get public officials and vendors on record by asking the right questions and observing what they do.
- Show others what good public servants look like, and document the difficult ones.
- Especially for meetings, prepare ahead of time by writing questions designed to elicit definitive answers regarding voting procedures.
-- Avoid over-general questions that lead to speeches, evasion and nonresponsiveness.
- If you happen to capture something that has evidenciary value (which happens more often than you think), be prepared to execute a formal affidavit and/or testify if needed.
Examples of situations where video cameras were unexpectedly important:
- Volusia County garbage altercation ( http://www.bbvforums.org/forums/messages/2197/6737.html)
- Vendor statements/misrepresentations to public officials ( http://www.bbvforums.org/forums/messages/2197/14298.html)
- Confession of violating state recount law in Ohio (in the prosecutor's hands)
- Careless or non-observable handling of voting machines, memory cards or election materials ( http://www.bbvforums.org/forums/messages/2197/14299.html)
All of the above examples now constitute evidence that can stand up in a court of law to hold vendors and officials accountable.
WHY THIS IS SO IMPORTANT
We have heard that "once this problem is solved" people can "all go home again." The truth is, you can never go home again. You should never again cede your oversight to public officials, vendors, scientists, or even any voting rights group. Freedom carries a great responsibility, and it turns out that "We the People" means YOU!
For personal mentoring on specific situations, go to our 1 on 1 Consulting Area ( http://www.bbvforums.org/forums/messages/73/73.html)
"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead
A "small group" can be one person. We want this to be an equal opportunity project with YOU, the citizen, in charge of your own inspirations. You can upload your video on the new "Google Videos" service, or your Web site. You can send links to Black Box Voting or any organization.
Now, go capture the best and worst of America in action. Black Box Voting is not going to organize you, monitor you, direct you or take credit for your excellent actions. We trust you.
Now shoo. Go!
Photocopy of Diebold check stub/financial, payment to Jack Abramoff's Greenberg Traurig firm:
Photocopy of Diebold General Ledger document that deserve explanation, including a vague $100,000.00 "unspecified security expense" made out to no one in particular on Oct. 31, 2003 and a $200,000 "additional consulting success fee":
Beginning info from an ES&S leak:
Black Box Voting is a nonpartisan, nonprofit 501c(3) elections watchdog group supported entirely by citizen donations. We are fighting for your right to oversee every bit of your own elections.
If you believe our work should continue, go to http://www.blackboxvoting.org/donate.html or mail to 330 SW 43rd St Suite K PMB 547 Renton WA 98055
-Black Box Voting