World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Early findings: no evidence Milosevic was poisoned

Early toxicology findings show no evidence Milosevic was poisoned – UN

Slobodan Milosevic, the late President of Yugoslavia and accused architect of genocide in the Balkans, does not appear to have been poisoned, according to the interim toxicological report of Dutch experts released today by the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).

In a letter released at the court’s seat at The Hague, the Senior Public Prosecutor of the Netherlands, H.J. Moraal, said, “no indications of poisoning have been found” following an autopsy. “A number of medicines prescribed for Mr. Milosevic were found in the body material, but not in toxic concentration,” he added.

The letter also notes that so far, no traces of rifampicine were found, but notes that “rifampicine disappears from the body quickly, and the fact that no traces were found implies only that it is not likely that rifampicine had been ingested or administered in the last few days before death.” That substance has been the subject of media speculation on the cause of Mr. Milosevic’s death, which was ruled a heart attack by medical experts.

These are only preliminary results, the Public Prosecutor stressed, noting that “the examination has not yet been concluded, and it will be continued in the coming week, among other things on the basis of medical data provided by the ICTY.”

In addition to the Dutch inquiry, the ICTY is conducting its own investigation. Tribunal President Fausto Pocar today said that probe is well underway.

And while voicing full confidence in the Tribunal’s detention unit, the President said it, too, was being audited.

In releasing this information, President Pocar stressed that although it was regrettable that Mr. Milosevic’s death had prevented a judgment, his was not the only important case on the court’s docket. “We continue to try the highest-level persons accused of perpetrating the most serious crimes against Serb, Croat, Bosnian Muslim, Albanian and other victims in the former Yugoslavia,” the President said.

“The Tribunal remains absolutely committed to fulfilling its critical mandate to render justice in these cases as fairly and expeditiously as possible,” he pledged.

At the time of his death on Saturday, Mr. Milosevic faced 66 counts of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes committed in Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo between 1991 and 1999. The prosecution put forward a wealth of evidence, including the testimony of 295 witnesses and the presentation of 5,000 exhibits, in arguing its case.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:


Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Mexico: Violence And Repression Of Teachers

The member organizations of Network for Peace express our indignation over the acts of repression that the Mexican State has carried out, through the police forces... In Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca, the conflict has resulted in murders of teachers and civilians as well as hundreds of wounded and dozens of people arrested. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Britain's Pleas For Mercy

So… Boris Johnson is promising that he won't be holding a snap general election, if he's chosen as the next UK Conservative Party leader. Reportedly, he is even making that promise a feature of his leadership campaign, since a vote for Boris would therefore mean (wink wink) that his colleagues wouldn't have to risk their jobs and face the wrath of the British public until 2020. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news