World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN sends security team to Sudan, following attack

UN refugee agency sends security team to south Sudan following fatal attack

A security and operations team from the United Nations refugee agency is heading to southern Sudan to assess the situation after Wednesday’s attack on an agency post in the town of Yei in which a local guard was killed and an Iraqi staff member and a second local guard seriously wounded.

Non-essential UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) staff in Yei are scheduled to travel to Nairobi, Kenya, today for debriefing on the traumatic incident, which High Commissioner António Guterres said underscored the difficulty the agency faces in south Sudan as it tries to create a sustainable environment for returning refugees after two decades of civil war.

Meanwhile the two wounded men have been evacuated by air from southern Sudan’s main city of Juba to a Nairobi hospital where they are now in a stable condition, UNHCR spokesman Ron Redmond told a news briefing in Geneva today.

“The UNHCR staff member evacuated - an Iraqi national - was shot three times in the abdomen during the attack and underwent surgery last night after arrival in Nairobi. He had previously undergone surgery in Juba to stabilize his condition before being medevac-ed to Nairobi,” he said.

The guard suffered a bullet wound to the leg requiring surgery during the attack by two armed intruders, one of whom was killed while the other was arrested.

Mr. Guterres is sending a team from the agency’s Emergency and Security Service to assess the situation on the ground. Separately, Assistant High Commissioner for Operations Judy-Cheng Hopkins and the director of UNHCR’s Sudan-Chad operations, Jean-Marie Fakouri, will go to Yei, Mr. Redmond said.

There are 350,000 refugees from South Sudan in neighbouring countries and some 4 million internally displaced people, uprooted by 21 years of civil war between Government and rebel forces that ended in a peace accord in January 2005.

UNHCR, along with other UN agencies and non-governmental organizations, has been working since then to prepare communities to receive returnees, building or rebuilding schools, hospitals, vocational training centres and water points.

Last week the agency launched a $63.2-million supplementary appeal for the operation. So far it has received $8 million. The appeal noted that security remained a concern in many parts of the south because of inter-ethnic tensions and rivalries between various armed groups.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:


Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Mexico: Violence And Repression Of Teachers

The member organizations of Network for Peace express our indignation over the acts of repression that the Mexican State has carried out, through the police forces... In Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca, the conflict has resulted in murders of teachers and civilians as well as hundreds of wounded and dozens of people arrested. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Britain's Pleas For Mercy

So… Boris Johnson is promising that he won't be holding a snap general election, if he's chosen as the next UK Conservative Party leader. Reportedly, he is even making that promise a feature of his leadership campaign, since a vote for Boris would therefore mean (wink wink) that his colleagues wouldn't have to risk their jobs and face the wrath of the British public until 2020. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news