World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Australia: PM Howard Has Spoof Website Closed Down

Australia: Prime Minister's Office Has Spoof Website Closed Down
http://www.rsf.org/

SYDNEY: (RSF/Pacific Media Watch): Reporters Without Borders voiced shock today at the methods used by the office of Australian Prime Minister John Howard to censor parody website johnhowardpm.org, on which political commentator Richard Neville posted a spoof speech by Howard about the presence of Australian troops in Iraq.

The prime minister's office had the website closed down on March 14 by going to Melbourne IT, the company that administers its domain name.

"All the world's leaders are subject to parody and the Australian prime minister should learn to live with it rather than banning it," Reporters Without Borders said.

"And anyway, to close down a website, a court order should be required, not just an administrative decision. This type of censorship is unacceptable in democracy, in which website managers have the same rights as those who run traditional media."

Aping the design of the prime minister's official website, the satirical johnhowardpm.org website carried spoof statements by Howard. A supposed fault in its registration with Melbourne IT was the grounds given for its closure.

But Reporters Without Borders has verified that it was registered under the name of R. Neville and was therefore perfectly valid.

Melbourne IT reportedly blocked the domain name in response to an e-mail request from a member of the prime minister's office. Johnhowardpm.org is now redirected to Neville's personal website on which the Iraq war spoof speech is available.

Neville has not received any official notification of the site's closure. He angrily told Reporters Without Borders: "I think that closing down a website is like burning a newspaper, only it is done with a velvet glove. There would have been people in the street if a newspaper had been censored like this."

Although the site was online for only 36 hours, it received more than 10,000 visits, he said.

Reporters Without Borders has condemned other cases of pressure being put on domain name administrators to censor websites. Last December, the Kazakh government managed to strip British comedian Ali G. of the ability to use the .kz domain name for his website.

See: http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=15918

+++niuswire

PACIFIC MEDIA WATCH ONLINE
http://www.pmw.c2o.org/

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news