SpinWatch Launches NuclearSpin.Org Website
Monitoring PR and Spin
2 May 2006
SpinWatch today launches a new website called NuclearSpin that identifies the main movers and shakers who are pushing for a resumption of civil nuclear power in the UK.
The website includes dozens of documents from key nuclear organisations such as BNFL and Nirex, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act. These documents highlight the PR tactics the industry is using to push for a resumption of nuclear power. The shows:
- The use of “third parties” to push forward the nuclear message, including approaching politicians, academics, unions, and consultants.
- The tactics of industry spin doctors such as Philip Dewhurst from BNFL.
- The funding of unions by BNFL to lobby for a resumption in nuclear power.
- How the main nuclear trade association, the Nuclear Industry Association is bank-rolled by BNFL. The site includes NIA’s recent activities, including offering media training to external experts with BNFL, and its lobbying activities in last year’s party conference season.
- The PR companies working for Nirex and how much they have been given to spin the nuclear case.
- A PR strategy document for Nirex that talks about using PR techniques such as third parties as well as “cultivating” or “isolating” MPS. It also talks about changing Nirex’s name to cure its image problem.
- Using the important issues of climate change and energy security as tools to win over the nuclear argument.
- Other strategic messages to win over the nuclear case, including on safety and quality of life.
- Comparing how nuclear could learn lessons from the controversial Atkins diet.
- The nuclear industry is targeting universities and schools to get its message across.
- How certain pro-nuclear lobby groups are involved in anti-wind activities.
You can access the website at http://www.nuclearspin.org
In all, there are profiles on 34 individuals; 20 pro-nuclear organisations; 12 companies; 18 PR companies and lobbying firms and 7 unions, amongst others.
NuclearSpin is a project of SpinWatch.
It is based on a Wiki system – so anyone can edit the entries – all you have to do is register with NuclearSpin. Email email@example.com.