World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Palestinians continue to flee Baghdad for Syria

Palestinians continue to flee Baghdad for Syria – UN refugee agency

Palestinians are continuing to flee insecurity in Baghdad for Syria but are not being allowed entry into the country, the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR), which is providing them with assistance at a ‘no-man’s land’ on the border, reported today.

Speaking to the press in Geneva, UNHCR spokesperson Ron Redmond said that on Saturday, a group of 67 Palestinians arrived at Tanef border crossing in northeastern Syria. Another group of over 50 Palestinians, including four pregnant women and several babies, arrived at the border on Sunday but was told to remain on the Iraqi side. There are reports that more Palestinians are on their way towards the Syrian border.

The first group was not allowed official access into Syria, “but were authorized to remain on the Syrian side of no man's land,” Mr. Redmond said. A UNHCR team tried to help them gain entry, but was informed by Syrian authorities that no newcomers would be accepted.

“The Palestinians say they are determined to stay until they are officially authorized to enter Syrian territory,” Mr. Redmond said.

The agency has provided food and basic items to the group, while a medical team from the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) was dispatched to check on their health.

Last week, UNHCR, with the help of UNRWA and the International Organization for Migration (IOM), at the invitation of the Syrian Government, transferred nearly 300 Palestinians who had been stranded for nearly two months at the Iraq-Jordan and Iraq-Syria border crossings into Syria.

Entry into Syria has since then been impossible for other Palestinians fleeing violence and intimidation in Baghdad, where an estimated 23,000 Palestinians still live.

© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news