World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Annan Says Nuclear Talks With Iran Started Well

Annan Says Nuclear Talks With Iran Started Well

United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan said today that European Union-led talks with Iran over its nuclear ambitions had got off to a “reasonably good start and appeared to be moving forward.

I think we’ve all been monitoring very closely the negotiations on the Iranian nuclear issue. I'm pleased that it seems to be moving forward, and Mr. (Javier) Solana had very good discussions in Tehran,” the Secretary-General <"http://www.un.org/apps/sg/offthecuff.asp?nid=883">told reporters, referring to the EU’s foreign policy chief.

And I think we are off to a reasonably good start. And I am hopeful that this time it will lead to serious negotiations where all the parties will find themselves at the table.”

Last Thursday, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) – the UN atomic watchdog – again called on Iran to suspend uranium enrichment-related and reprocessing activities, the condition set by the United States for joining in the discussions with the Islamic Republic aimed at ensuring its nuclear programme is solely for peaceful purposes.

Earlier this year, the IAEA referred the issue to the Security Council, which can impose sanctions, after its Director-General, Mohammed ElBaradei, reported that although the Agency had not seen any diversion of material to nuclear weapons or other explosive devices, it was still not able to conclude that there were no undeclared Iranian nuclear materials or activities.

Iran says its activities are solely for energy purposes but the United States and other countries insist it is clandestinely seeking to produce nuclear weapons. Last August, Iran rescinded its voluntary suspension of nuclear fuel conversion, which can produce the enriched uranium necessary either for nuclear power generation or for nuclear weapons.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news