World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Hizbollah attack condemned, release of Israelis

Annan condemns Hizbollah attack, calls for immediate release of Israeli soldiers

United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan today called for the immediate release of two Israeli soldiers seized by Hizbollah militants from Lebanon and conferred with key leaders on the attack, which he condemned as a “blatant breach” of Security Council resolutions and of the line separating the two countries.

“This incident, and subsequent developments, which endanger an already volatile region, demonstrates once again how urgent it is that the Lebanese Government extends its control over all Lebanese territory and prevents such attacks across the Blue Line,” he said in a statement issued by his office.

Mr. Annan’s Personal Representative for Lebanon, Geir Pedersen, said the attack was to be condemned in the strongest possible terms.

“We are deeply disturbed by this violent breach of the Blue Line which contradicts the stated intent of the Lebanese side to maintain calm and stability along the Line,” he added in a statement. “Hizbollah’s action escalates the already tense situation along the Blue Line and is an act of very dangerous proportions. This is not in Lebanon’s interest.”

He called on Hizbollah to release the soldiers and urged all parties to exercise maximum restraint and avoid any further escalation.

UN spokesperson Marie Okabe said Mr. Annan had already spoken by telephone to Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Siniora and United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and had calls that he would be making to the Israeli and Syrian leaders. “So he’s very much working the phones… appealing for the release of the soldiers and for maximum restraint to be obeyed,” she told a news briefing.

The Security Council was briefed on the situation by Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations Jean-Marie Guéhenno.

Speaking to the press afterwards, the Council President, French Ambassador Jean-Marc de La Sablière, said members agreed to follow the developments in Lebanon closely. “We will come back to it,” he said.

Mr. Annan, who is currently in Rome, told reporters after meeting with Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi that both leaders felt extremely concerned by the situation in the Middle East.

On Israel’s reported killing in a bombing raid of a family in Gaza, Ms. Okabe said Mr. Annan was “distressed,” deplored the action, and “reminds Israel of its obligation under international law to protect civilians from the effects of the conflict.”

She added that the Secretary-General “calls on both sides to exercise greater restraint.”

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Climate Strike: At UN, Youth Activists Press For Bold Action

This first-ever UN Youth Climate Summit follows Friday’s global ‘climate strike’, which saw millions of young people from across the globe walk out of school and jam streets in major cities, from New York to New Delhi and Santiago to San Francisco. More>>

ALSO:

Pacific: Tongan PM 'Akilisi Pohiva Dies, Aged 78

A constant thorn in the side of the monarchy and nobility, Mr Pohiva's lifelong battle for representation had seen him fired from the public service and charged with sedition... More>>

ALSO:

Untied Kingdom: UK PM Moves To Suspend Parliament In Weeks Before Brexit

The Prime Minister has briefed Cabinet colleagues that the government will bring forward an ambitious new legislative programme for MPs’ approval, and that the current parliamentary session will be brought to an end. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Hong Kong Protest Movement

The pro-democracy protests enjoy huge support among Hong Kong’s youth, partly because the democratic systems currently at risk have only a limited time span. More>>

ALSO: