World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN Deals With Massive Displacement In Lebanon

UN AGENCIES MOBILIZE TO DEAL WITH MASSIVE DISPLACEMENT IN LEBANON

New York, Jul 18 2006 3:00PM

Estimating that 400,000 people have already left their homes in Lebanon, with another 500,000 expected to flee the bombardment if it continues tomorrow, United Nations humanitarian agencies are mobilizing to assist them with food, shelter, sanitation and health needs.

“Appropriate shelter for the large displaced population needs to be investigated along with ensuring quality drinking water, sufficient food and access to health care,” according to a situation report of the World Health Organization (WHO), which also says that safe transportation is urgently needed to move seriously injured patients to areas where the population has relocated.

Most of the displaced have sought refuge with families and friends living in those safer areas, according to the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF), but up to 40,000 are believed to have taken shelter in school buildings and public gardens.

An interagency meeting between UN agencies, the International of the Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) has already been held in Geneva to share information and develop a contingent plan of action. An assessment team is expected to leave for Damascus, Syria, today and arrive in Beirut tomorrow.

The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is also sending a four-person humanitarian team to the region to help coordinate the response on the ground and expects to launch a flash appeal for Lebanon early next week.

The agencies are continuing discussions with the ICRC and the Lebanese Red Cross on the transportation of patients and medical supplies, and the UN Works and Relief Agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) is planning to establish mobile medical teams to assist displace persons.

UNICEF, meanwhile, has issued an appeal for nearly $7.5 million to respond to the immediate needs of women and children during the crisis in the areas of humanitarian access, continuity of social services, protection and psychological aid, health and nutrition and water and sanitation.

It was announced yesterday that, if needed, UNICEF had already prepared emergency health kits, family hygiene kits and water tanks, water purification material, generators and fuel to be sent to Lebanon, while the World Food Programme WFP made available 25,000 tons of biscuits for the displaced population.

In regard to people moving out of the country, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said its staff monitoring the border between Syria and Lebanon said the thousands leaving Lebanon are overwhelmingly Syrian nationals temporarily working in Lebanon.

UNHCR is also trying to monitor the situation of some 20,000 Iraqi and Sudanese refugees and asylum seekers within Lebanon, it said.

2006-07-18 00:00:00.000

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news