World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN to Send More Emergency Supplies to S Lebanon

As Conflict Rages to Southern Lebanon, UN to Send More Convoys of Emergency Supplies

New York, Jul 27 2006 5:00PM

Responding to the increasing humanitarian crisis in war-ravaged Lebanon, the United Nations will send two additional convoys of emergency supplies to the south of the country tomorrow, a UN spokesman said, following the successful aid delivery to the devastated port city of Tyre on Wednesday.

“Those convoys, which are being organized by the World Food Programme (WFP), are to go to the towns of Jezzine and Sidon, and we also hope to go deeper into the south in the following days,” Marie Okabe told reporters in New York.

With more than one fifth of Lebanon’s 3.8 million population believed to have abandoned their homes to escape the conflict, WFP said in a news release that it plans to increase the number of people targeted by its contribution to the emergency operation.

Yesterday’s UN relief convoy, which carried supplies from WFP, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine refugees (UNRWA), passed thousands of displaced people on the road heading for safe havens. According to one WFP staff member, the towns and villages that these people have abandoned resemble “ghost towns.”

WFP is responsible for providing logistics support – trucking, warehousing and communications – to the UN relief operation in Lebanon and has deployed 20 staff to Beirut in response to the escalating crisis, while support structures have been established in Damascus, Syria and Larnaca, Cyprus.

Almost 360 Lebanese have been killed in the conflict so far with an estimated 1,500 injured, the great majority civilians, the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in its latest situation report, highlighting that 42 Israelis have also died in nearly two weeks of fighting.

“The conflict continues to cause enormous damage to residential areas and key civilian infrastructure with hundreds of bridges and road networks, mainly in the south [of Lebanon], systematically destroyed, leaving entire communities in the south inaccessible and hampering relief operations,” OCHA said.

Out of an estimated 800,000 people affected by the violence, around 700,000 have fled their homes, with 125,000 or so staying in schools and public institutions in Lebanon and 150,000 estimated to have crossed the border into Syria, it added.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news