World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Force in Lebanon Extended as Council Mulls Action

UN Force in Lebanon Extended for 1 Month as Council Mulls Future Action

New York, Jul 31 2006 6:00PM

The Security Council today extended for one month the mandate of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) while proposals for a new international presence in the violence-wracked region are considered.

In a unanimously adopted resolution, the Council rolled over the mandate of the Force, first set up in 1978, “pending consideration of other options for future arrangements in South Lebanon.”

Secretary-General Kofi Annan said in his most recent report that the upsurge in violence since 12 July had “radically changed the context” in which UNIFIL operates and recommended that its mandate be renewed only for another month while all possible options for southern Lebanon are worked out.

Agreeing with that view and extending the mission only until 31 August, the Council urged all parties to abide scrupulously by their obligation to respect the safety of all UN personnel.

Mr. Annan has repeatedly and strongly called for an immediate cessation of hostilities while proposing the deployment of a stabilisation force for the area. Speaking to reporters on the initiative on Friday, he said: “We’ve gone beyond statements and exhortations. We’re looking for concrete, practical steps to take action.”

The Lebanese “need to find a way of disarming Hizbollah and creating a situation where there will be one authority and one gun, and extend the authority through the territory. And this is where the international community needs to work with them and give them the support, the space, by deploying the stabilization force,” he said.

A planned technical-level meeting for potential troop contributors to a possible stabilization force in Lebanon, scheduled for today, was postponed. Asked the reasons for the delay, UN spokesman Ahmad Fawzi said, “They needed time to get the details right for a force of that nature. It’s just a question of time and logistics.”

Meanwhile on the ground, UNFIL reported that two tank rounds from the Israeli side impacted directly on the Force’s position in the general area of Hula yesterday afternoon, causing extensive material damage, including the ammunition shelter, but no casualties. One aerial bomb impacted in the vicinity of a UN position in the area of Alma Ash Shab yesterday morning, causing damage to the parameter wall.

“It was reported that Hizbollah fired rockets from the vicinity of this UNIFIL position prior to the aerial bombardment. Hizbollah also fired small arms fire from the vicinity of the same position,” the Force said in a news release. “They also fired rockets from the vicinity of two UNIFIL positions in the area of Tibnin and At Tiri in the central sector.” There was one more incident of firing from the Israeli side close to UNIFIL position in the area of Mays al Jabal, when 10 tank rounds impacted 100 meters from the UN position.

UNIFIL strongly protested all these incidents to the Israeli and Lebanese authorities, according to the news release.

There were no incidents of aerial bombardment by Israeli forces or rocket fire from Hizbollah in its area of operations since 4 a.m. this morning, except for two air strikes in the area of At Tayyabah in the eastern sector and heavy shelling near two other villages from the Israeli side, UNMIL said.

The mission said that it seems that Israeli forces maintain their presence in two locations inside Lebanese territory, but those areas have also been “relatively quiet” and there are no reports of serious combat.

Four observers from the associated UN Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) were killed last week when an Israeli bombardment hit their base, and other observers have been moved within more secure UNIFIL positions.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news