World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

UN Special Rep. To Timor-Leste Calls For Calm

UN SPECIAL REPRESENTATIVE TO TIMOR-LESTE CALLS FOR CALM AS JUSTICE TAKES COURSE

New York, Aug 2 2006 11:00AM

United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan’s Special Representative in Timor-Leste today called for calm and for the observance of the rule of law to allow justice to take its course in dealing with the outbreak of violence in April that forced tens of thousands of people in the small country to flee their homes.

In a statement released in the capital, Dili, Sukehiro Hasegawa pointed out that the international community is aware of, and will respond to, the aspirations and demands for justice, fair and equal treatment of everyone alleged to have committed a criminal act during the period preceding and leading to the violent incidents in April and May of this year. That was when some 600 striking soldiers – a third of the armed forces – were fired, sparking clashes that killed at least 37 people and drove 155,000 more, 15 per cent of the population, from their homes.

The United Nations will respond by supporting an independent inquiry into the facts and circumstances relevant to the incidents, said Mr. Hasegawa, noting that the “Independent Special Commission of Inquiry for Timor-Leste” has already commenced its investigations. Officials connected to that probe are expected to arrive in Timor-Leste next week.

The Special Representative pointed out that the Office of the Prosecutor-General may be conducting many criminal investigations into the recent incidents, a process which will take time, and that it is important that the justice system be allowed to run its course. “What counts is that, at the end, justice be done with fairness and integrity. That, after a fair trial, innocent people are acquitted and those individuals found guilty of criminal acts are convicted and sentenced in accordance with the law of the land,” he said.

He also urged the Timorese people to find the strength to start the reconciliation process with their neighbours and fellow citizens – “whether they happen to be from the eastern or the western districts” – and to work together to achieve democratic reforms.

Looking to polls scheduled for early next hear, he observed that peace and stability are necessary “so that the process can be completely free and democratic and be carried out without threats of violence or intimidation.”

At present a joint Task Force made up of Australian, New Zealand, Portuguese and Malaysian forces invited in by the Government is helping to restore calm in Timor-Lestes.

2006-08-02 00:00:00.000

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Ramzy Baroud: Year in Review Will 2018 Usher in a New Palestinian Strategy

2017 will be remembered as the year that the so-called ‘peace process’, at least in its American formulation, has ended. And with its demise, a political framework that has served as the foundation for US foreign policy in the Middle East has also collapsed. More>>

ALSO:


North Korea: NZ Denounces Missile Test

Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters has denounced North Korea’s latest ballistic missile test. The test, which took place this morning, is North Korea’s third test flight of an inter-continental ballistic missile. More>>

ALSO:

Campbell On: the US demonising of Iran

Satan may not exist, but the Evil One has always been a handy tool for priests and politicians alike.

Currently, Iran is the latest bogey conjured up by Washington to (a) justify its foreign policy interventions and (b) distract attention from its foreign policy failures.

Once upon a time, the Soviet Union was the nightmare threat for the entire Cold War era – and since then the US has cast the Taliban, al Qaeda, and Islamic State in the same demonic role. Iran is now the latest example…More


Catalan Independence:
Pro-independence parties appear to have a narrow majority. More>>