World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Afghanistan: UN Helps 15,000 Displaced Families

Afghanistan: UN Helps 15,000 Displaced Families in Strife-Torn South of Country

New York, Oct 30 2006 2:00PM

With fighting flaring in southern Afghanistan the United Nations, along with the Government and international donors, is assisting some 15,000 families displaced in three southern provinces.

Distribution of food and non-food items resumed yesterday after the Eid holiday at the end of the month-long Ramadan fasting period, UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) spokesman Aleem Siddique told a news briefing in Kabul, the capital, today.

So far, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) has provided food and other items to over 12,000 families in Panjwai and Zherai districts of Kandahar, as well as in Lashkar Gah in Helmand and Tirin Kot in Urzghan provinces.

In addition, agencies including the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) and the inter-governmental International Organization for Migration (IOM) have provided essential non-food items, such as blankets, clothing, medical supplies and plastic sheets to some 7,000 families. Assistance is being coordinated by the Government’s Provincial Disaster Management Committees.

The UN Development Programme (UNDP) is also using a $5-million contribution from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to bolster development and humanitarian activities for the people displaced by the recent fighting in Kandahar, especially in Panjwaye and Zharay districts.

Meanwhile UNICEF, the UN World Health Organisation (WHO) and non-governmental organization (NGO) partners are launching a 10-day joint neonatal tetanus, measles and polio immunization campaign on Wednesday for eight provinces in the south and south east, involving both a house-to-house strategy to target mothers and a fixed centre strategy to immunize children aged 9 to 59 months.

The first six provinces to be targeted will be Kandahar, Helmand, Nimroz, Paktya, Paktika and Khost. “We hope to vaccinate around 540,000 children in these provinces,” Mr. Siddique said. Immunization in two other provinces, Uruzgan and Zabul, will be completed later this year.

In 2000, WHO estimated that 30,000 to 35,000 children under the age of five died as a result of measles. Successive immunization initiatives over the last few years led to a 94 per cent reduction in 2004 with 559 deaths reported.

“Unfortunately, Afghanistan has experienced an outbreak of measles in the last two years with 836 cases reported in 2005 and 1,835 cases reported so far this year,” Mr. Siddique said. “We urge families in these provinces to cooperate with this vital health initiative over the coming weeks.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news