Case of Mr Ahmed Abbas
The Government of the Maldives wished to inform interested parties of the following facts surrounding the case of Mr Ahmed Abbas.
- Mr Abbas was on 1 November convicted under Section 88 of the Penal Code of Incitement to Violence, an offence carrying a six month prison term.
- This offence relates to an article with quotes attributed to Mr Abbas in August 2005 and published in “Minivan”.
- Mr Abbas was issued with several Summoning Chits in advance of his court date of 1 November, but chose not to present himself in court.
- He was therefore tried in absentia.
- Today, 2 November, Mr Abbas presented himself to the Indian High Commission in Male’ and, subsequently, to the offices of the UNDP, to request political asylum. We understand that Mr Abbas remains in the UN Building.
- The Government has requested the UN to hand over Mr Abbas to the local authorities, and are awaiting a response to this request, and has demanded an explanation for its refusal to handover the fugitive to local authorities.