World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


UN Human Rights Chief Decries ‘Massive’ Violations

In Gaza Strip, UN Human Rights Chief Decries ‘Massive’ Violations Against Civilians

New York, Nov 21 2006 11:00AM

The top United Nations human rights official said today that “massive” violations against civilians had taken place in the Gaza Strip as she began a five-day tour of the region following Israel’s deadly assault on the occupied Palestinian territory earlier this month.

Louise Arbour, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, toured the northern Gazan town of Beit Hanoun, where 19 Palestinians were killed and some 60 others injured earlier this month when the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) shelled a residential area.

Ms. Arbour told journalists that an independent, credible and thorough inquiry was needed to determine where responsibility lies for the deaths in Beit Hanoun, which occurred on 8 November.

At least 82 Palestinians have been killed since the IDF began its latest offensive in the Gaza Strip near the end of last month and one Israeli woman was killed last week when a rocket fired by Palestinian militants in Gaza struck the town of Sderot in southern Israel.

The High Commissioner told journalists that the lack of accountability for human rights in Gaza leaves locals with no one to turn to when there is a breach.

“The call for protection has to be answered. We cannot continue to see civilians, who are not the authors of their own misfortune, suffer to the extent of what I see here,” she said.

Ms. Arbour also held talks with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, human rights defenders and other civil society representatives, and she received briefings from UN staff working in the Gaza Strip. Tomorrow she is scheduled to visit Sderot.

Stressing that the profound sense of deprivation in the Gaza Strip only becomes truly evident during a visit to the territory, she added that she was told by many Palestinians during the day of their feeling of a complete sense of abandonment.

Ms. Arbour’s visit began days after the General Assembly passed a resolution deploring Israel’s recent shelling of Gaza and calling for an immediate cessation of hostilities.


© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news