World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Disarmament And Non-Proliferation Both Needed

Disarmament And Non-Proliferation Both Needed To Fight Nuclear Threat – Annan

New York, Nov 28 2006 10:00PM

The only way forward to reducing “the greatest danger of all” – the threat posed by nuclear weapons – is to tackle the objectives of non-proliferation and disarmament simultaneously and equally vigorously, Secretary-General Kofi Annan said today.

In a lecture at Princeton University in the United States, Mr. Annan said fierce disagreement between countries over which objective was more urgent meant the world was stuck without a common strategy for dealing with the problem.

“I said earlier this year that we are ‘sleepwalking towards disaster.’ In truth, it is worse than that,” Mr. Annan said, voicing particular concern at the recent failure to update and strengthen the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). “We are asleep at the controls of a fast-moving aircraft. Unless we wake up and take control,the outcome is all too predictable.

He said States which advocate non-proliferation first and those which push disarmament as a priority have become locked in a sterile debate – “the result is that ‘mutually assured destruction’ has been replaced by mutually assured paralysis.”

The only option is to tackle both fronts at the same time, he said, adding it is also vital to address the threat of terrorism, “as well as the threats, both real and rhetorical, which drive particular States or regimes to seek security, however misguidedly, by developing or acquiring nuclear weapons.”

Mr. Annan called on those nations which already have nuclear weapons “to develop concrete plans – with specific timetables – for implementing their disarmament commitments.

“And I urge them to make a joint declaration of intent to achieve the progressive elimination of all nuclear weapons, under strict and effective international control.”

But countries which insist on disarmament first must realize that lack of progress on that question cannot be a legitimate excuse for failing to tackle the dangers of proliferation.

“No State should imagine that, by pushing ahead with a nuclear weapon programme, it can pose as a defender of the NPT; still less that it will persuade others to disarm,” the Secretary-General stated.

He also urged those countries to acknowledge disarmament wherever it does occur and to support the efforts of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and others to find ways of guaranteeing that all States have access to fuel and services for civilian nuclear needs without spreading sensitive technology.

“Countries must be able to meet their growing energy needs through such programmes, but we cannot afford a world where more and more countries develop the most sensitive phases of the nuclear fuel cycle themselves.”


Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news