World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN Begins Medical Assistance In Southern Sudan

UN Begins Medical Assistance And Other Help To Victims Of Fighting In Southern Sudan

New York, Nov 30 2006 7:00PM

The United Nations has started delivering medical assistance to more than 300 civilians who were injured, some badly, during heavy fighting earlier this week in the southern Sudanese provincial capital of Malakal.

The UN is also preparing to offer food, water and shelter to those residents who fled the town to escape the fighting between Sudanese armed forces and the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA), which media reports say has left many people dead.

The security situation inside Malakal has largely returned to normal, the UN Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) reported, after the intervention of a joint delegation of senior officials from the Mission, the Sudanese armed forces and the SPLA. UNMIS peacekeepers have been deployed in the town.

But the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said tensions among armed groups in Malakal, the capital of Upper Nile state, remains high and sporadic gunfire and looting of shops and homes is continuing.

UN staff and officials from humanitarian agencies have begun assessing civilian casualties and infrastructure damage, as well as the availability of food, clean water and medical supplies in the days ahead. David Gressly, the Deputy Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in South Sudan, will also lead an OCHA delegation to Malakal tomorrow for an assessment visit.

“Now that the fighting has subsided, we have begun to provide immediate life-saving medical support to the civilian victims of the violence and also assess what else needs to be done,” Mr. Gressly said.

Yesterday, in a statement released by his spokesman, Secretary-General Kofi Annan called the clashes a serious violation of the security arrangements of last year’s comprehensive peace agreement that ended a 21-year civil war in southern Sudan.

He appealed to the Government of National Unity and the Government of Southern Sudan, which were both established in the wake of the power-sharing agreement, “to make all possible efforts to contain the situation.”

An emergency meeting yesterday of the ceasefire joint monitoring committee – which comprises representatives of UNMIS, the SPLA and the Sudanese armed forces – condemned the violence, demanded an immediate ceasefire by both sides and called for the redeployment of troops to their respective positions before the clashes.

The committee also decided that a joint investigation will take place to determine who was responsible for breaching the peace agreement and then bring them to account.

Some civilian UN staff have been temporarily relocated from Malakal to other locations in southern Sudan.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news