World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Concern Over Kuwaitis Missing Since 1990 War

Security Council Reiterates Concern Over Issue of Kuwaitis Missing Since 1990 War

New York, Dec 13 2006 5:00PM

Welcoming the recent progress on identifying and recovering the remains of Kuwaitis and other nationals missing since the 1990 Gulf War, the Security Council today expressed concern over the fate of nearly 400 others whose whereabouts remain unknown.

In a statement to the press, Council President Nassir Abdulaziz al-Nasser of Qatar, which holds the rotating presidency this month, said the 15-member body offered its deepest condolences to the families of those missing persons whose remains have recently been found.

He reiterated the Council’s condemnation of the executions of Kuwaitis and third party nationals during the 1990 war, adding that members “agreed that those responsible for these horrendous crimes should be brought to justice.”

The statement was issued following a briefing to the Council by Yuli Vorontsov, the Secretary-General’s High Level Coordinator on the issue. Earlier this week Secretary-General Kofi Annan released his latest report to the Council, noting that although the remains of three Kuwaitis have been found recently, the fate of 370 others remains unknown.

“This reflects disappointingly slow progress,” Mr. Annan said in the report, adding that “serious security challenges in Iraq have impeded searches for graves and exhumation of known sites where Kuwaiti and other nationals are thought to be buried.”

The press statement lamented the lack of progress on locating the missing Kuwaiti national archive, but welcomed the work of the Tripartite Commission and the International Committee of the Red Cross in attempting to determine the fate of the missing people.

It also noted the positive resolution of all issues relating to the transfer of Kuwaiti spare parts onboard Iraqi Airways planes in Tunisia.

“Council members look forward to the final closure of all the matters related to Kuwaiti spare parts,” Mr. al-Nasser said.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: Is This Guy The World’s Most Dangerous Thirtysomething?

Saudi Arabia has long been regarded as a pillar of stability in the Middle East, and is the essential caterer to the West’s fossil fuel needs. It is also the country that gave us Osama Bin Laden, al Qaeda, and 15 of the 19 terrorists who carried out the 9/11 attacks... More>>

ALSO:

Non-Binding Postal Vote: Australia Says Yes To Same Sex Marriage

Binoy Kampmark: Out of 150 federal seats, 133 registered affirmative totals in returning their response to the question “Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?”. More>>

ALSO:

Bonn Climate Change Conference: Protecting Health In Small Island States

The vision is that, by 2030, all Small Island Developing States will have health systems that are resilient to climate change and countries around the world will be reducing their carbon emissions both to protect the most vulnerable from climate risks and deliver large health benefits in carbon-emitting countries. More>>

ALSO:

Camp Shut Down: Refugees Must Be Rescued From Manus

On 31st October 2017, the detention centre on Manus Island in which the Australian Government has been holding more than 700 refugees was closed, leaving those living there in a desperate situation. More>>

ALSO:

EARLIER:

Rohingya Muslims Massacred: Restrictions On Aid Put 1000s At Risk

Amnesty: The Myanmar authorities’ restrictions on international aid in Rakhine state is putting tens of thousands of lives at risk in a region where mainly Rohingya people are already suffering horrific abuses from a disproportionate military campaign. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 
 
  • Pacific.Scoop
  • Cafe Pacific
  • PMC