World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UN Sends $2 Million To Flood-Hit Aceh Region

UN Sends $2 Million To Flood-Hit Aceh Region Of Indonesia New York, Dec 25 2006

11:00PM

In response to flash floods that swept over the province of Aceh in Indonesia earlier this month, the United Nations has allocated an initial $2 million grant from its Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) for the relief effort in the area, where an estimated 170,000 have been forced to flee their homes.

The floods, which hit on 21 and 22 December, affected some 160 villages, primarily in Lhokseumawe and North Aceh. Many of the displaced are staying in tents or in public buildings.

"The CERF was established precisely to ensure this kind of rapid response to urgent needs," said UN Acting Emergency Relief Coordinator Margareta Wahlstrom. "That is why its replenishment is so crucial each year."

As of mid-December, donors, among them several disaster-prone countries including Indonesia, had pledged some $344 million to the CERF for 2007.

Roads leading to many of the affected areas are reportedly blocked by flooding and landslides, which are making access difficult, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). Air access has also been problematic due to a lack of landing spots. The Provincial Government has asked the UN system to help coordinate and provide humanitarian assistance to the affected areas.

Meanwhile, the local government has responded with initial emergency aid to the flood affected areas, while the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is also involved, OCHA said. While a consolidated plan for the distribution of relief items is being prepared by the UN in Indonesia, UN agencies have already started providing assistance with resources from their ongoing programmes, which will need to be replenished, the Office said.

The UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) has 15,000 tarpaulins, and other stocks in Aceh and in Medan that could be mobilized, and the UN World Food Programme (WFP) can release sufficient ready-to-eat food for one to two weeks from its c 1,680 family tents, 1,300 hygiene kits, 100 individual kits for childbearing women, and 8 sets of reproductive health kits that could be mobilized from Jakarta.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news