World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Renewed Fighting In Congo Displaces 25,000


Renewed Fighting in Congo Displaces 25,000

An estimated 25,000 people on Tuesday fled camps for the displaced in Congo's restive North Kivu province, after fighting erupted between forces loyal to dissident general Laurent Nkunda and the Congolese army.

The roads outside Goma, the capital of North Kivu, swelled with fleeing civilians early Tuesday, as clashes between rebels and Congo 's regular army sparked the largest mass population displacement in months.

Aid officials say they fear a deepening of the humanitarian crisis that has seen 370,000 people displaced since fighting erupted between Nkunda loyalists and the army late last year.

"Once again displaced people are getting redisplaced, fleeing for their lives, because they fear for their security," said Aya Shneerson, head of the World Food Program in North and South Kivu Province. "The situation is still very tense."

Impoverished civilians fled the camps with little more than the clothes on their backs.

Some children said they had been separated from their parents in the confusion.

Zawag Karafuru was fleeing with her two young children from the Mugunga Two Camp.

"She says she is running away from Mugunga," said Karafuru. "This morning she heard shooting and realized the rebels were coming. She says she ran for her life."

Congo accused Nkunda of attacking an army post nearby the camps early Tuesday.

But the rebel general denied that his forces were responsible for the attack, Reuters news agency reported.

Nkunda, an ethnic Tutsi, says he is trying to protect Congo's Tutsi population from attacks by Hutu militias who have links to the perpetrators of the Rwandan genocide.

Nkunda has accused Congo's weakened national army of collaborating with the militias on some military operations.

Last weekend Congo and Rwanda signed an unprecedented joint agreement in which Congo agreed to take steps to disarm the militias.

Rwanda wants those known to have committed genocide repatriated to stand trial for war crimes.

ENDS

More: Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news