World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Senegalese Forces Disperse Protest After Riots


By Nico Colombant
Dakar

Senegalese Authorities Disperse Protest After Riots in Capital

Senegalese security forces broke up a union march after groups of young men rioted in several parts of the capital Dakar, erecting burning barricades, destroying market areas and attacking government offices. Protesters are complaining President Abdoulaye Wade is not doing enough to help workers and the poor, while trying to embellish the city for an upcoming summit of Islamic nations.


Hundreds of union members marched in central Dakar Wednesday despite a ban on their protest announced just as they were about to begin.

The unions called on police to join them on their side. Instead security forces fired tear gas.

A security official explained he was hoping to make the march secure, but was now under orders to stop it.

March organizer Cheikh Diop said this is not normal, and that he will plan a new protest when the city is calmer.

He says the protest is against higher prices, low salaries, and inadequate employment policies, among other problems.

Another marcher and union leader, Fatou Samba, says Senegalese now only eat once or twice a day. She says many families are abandoning their children, while young men try to flee to Europe, and young women are turning to prostitution.

An official at ruling party offices in the Medina neighborhood of Dakar shows how angry youths ransacked the place earlier in the day as he tried to pick up official documents which have scattered outside in the street.

Nearby, a young street hawker says President Wade does not understand the plight of the poor. He says they have to work by any possible means to survive.

The protests follow a decision by authorities to ban street vending and clear out informal market stalls along main arteries, which are being renovated ahead of a scheduled March summit of Islamic countries.

ENDS

More: Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news