World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


More Clashes In DRC North Kivu Will Harm Civilians


More clashes in DR Congo's North Kivu will harm civilians, UN official warns

A senior United Nations envoy to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has called on parties in the country's troubled North Kivu province to avoid any actions that could harm the already beleaguered civilian population in the area.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's Deputy Special Representative for the DRC, Ross Mountain, made his appeal following a weekend visit to North Kivu, where he held talks with provincial authorities as well as representatives of the UN Mission in the DRC (MONUC), UN agencies and humanitarian partners.

He also visited camps housing some 45,000 displaced people, most having fled their homes following engagements between the Congolese army (FARDC) and Laurent Nkunda's rebels in Sake and its environs at the beginning of September.

Mr. Mountain hailed a recent agreement reached between the Congolese and Rwandan Governments as an "important step ahead towards peace in the area." Signed in Nairobi earlier this month, the pact calls for a common approach to threats to peace in the region, including measures to end impunity.

"Certainly, in accordance with the Nairobi agreement, the planning of military operations is in hand," said Mr. Mountain, who is also the UN's Humanitarian Coordinator in the DRC.

"But we continue to hope that before their implementation, the armed groups will understand the immense suffering which would be inflicted on their communities and all the population if they persist in their refusal to surrender, and as regards the Congolese armed groups, that they join the brassage process," he added, referring to a retraining programme for ex-combatants.

"I launch a call to everyone, as well as governmental forces and other involved forces so that they abstain from any actions that would put the civilian population in danger. Such acts are contrary to international humanitarian law," Mr. Mountain said.

With some 400,000 newly displaced in North Kivu since December 2006, Mr. Mountain stressed that many of them continue to live under extremely precarious conditions, some without any outside assistance.

He pledged to work with the Congolese authorities and other partners "to try to address the needs of these people."

Mr. Mountain emphasized the need for an end to violence. "Everyone must be conscious that if clashes intensify - and there already has been too much - civilians, in particular women and children, will be once more the main victims," he said.

"Our priority, today, is to seek ways and means of stabilizing this province durably, in order to allow these people, who have suffered so much, to return home and finally be able to profit from the riches of their country."

On Friday, UN Force Commander General Babacar Gaye noted that not enough dissident soldiers had joined the Congolese Army through brassage. He added that the next step may require UN peacekeepers to use force to disarm illegal armed groups, including the one led by General Nkunda.

ENDS

More: Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news