World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Iraqi Political Factors Improve, Drawdown Begins


By Merle D. Kellerhals Jr.
USINFO Staff Writer

Iraqi Political, Economic Factors Improve, Troop Drawdown Begins

Security conditions have improved enough in Iraq that the United States November 27 began the drawdown of U.S. combat troops from Diyala province. "The redeployment without replacement reflects overall improved security within Iraq, as well as improved capabilities of the Iraqi security forces and the emergence of concerned local citizens," Navy Rear Admiral Gregory Smith said.

It represents the first drawdown of combat forces since the surge of additional troops began earlier in 2007, and these forces will not be replaced, Smith said during a November 24 Multi-National Force-Iraq briefing in Baghdad.

Army Colonel David Sutherland of the 1st Cavalry Division said the drawdown was made possible because of improved economic factors and declining tribal conflicts in the province.

Sutherland said coalition forces, Iraqi security forces and the provincial government have worked diligently over the past 14 months to bring stability and services to Diyala province. The province had been plagued by rampant corruption, with leaders placing their ambitions and needs ahead of the needs of their constituency, he said. There was a lack of essential services for food, water, electricity and fuel, and residents viewed Iraqi security forces as being sectarian, he added. In addition, he said, tribal conflicts further divided the population.

"Today, the operational environment is drastically improving," Sutherland said. Acts of violence have dropped in the past year by 50 percent, he added.

"The surge enabled the coalition and Iraqi security forces to dominate the terrain and secure the population. It also helped the government to function properly and begin focusing on reconstruction and essential services," Sutherland said.

Army General David Petraeus, overall commander of coalition forces in Iraq, testified before Congress in September that any drawdown of forces before Iraq was ready would be imprudent, saying the situation in Iraq was complex and difficult.

Smith said current conditions allow for the withdrawal of the first unit. "If conditions continue to permit, a total of five brigade combat teams will be redeployed over the next eight months," he said.

By June 2008, the United States plans initially to withdraw about 5,000 troops from the current level of 162,000 troops, Smith said.

ENDS

More: Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:


Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Mexico: Violence And Repression Of Teachers

The member organizations of Network for Peace express our indignation over the acts of repression that the Mexican State has carried out, through the police forces... In Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca, the conflict has resulted in murders of teachers and civilians as well as hundreds of wounded and dozens of people arrested. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Britain's Pleas For Mercy

So… Boris Johnson is promising that he won't be holding a snap general election, if he's chosen as the next UK Conservative Party leader. Reportedly, he is even making that promise a feature of his leadership campaign, since a vote for Boris would therefore mean (wink wink) that his colleagues wouldn't have to risk their jobs and face the wrath of the British public until 2020. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news