World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


US Envoy: North Korea Disabling Nuclear Programs


By Daniel Schearf
Beijing

US Envoy: North Korea Disabling Nuclear Programs

U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill has returned from a visit to North Korea where he says nuclear disablement is going well, but gaps remain on Pyongyang's agreed nuclear declaration. Hill is in Beijing to discuss scheduling a new round of North Korean nuclear talks with Chinese officials. Daniel Schearf reports from Beijing.

Hill arrived in Beijing after two days of talks with North Korean officials and an inspection of disablement activities at North Korea's nuclear facilities.

The top U.S. negotiator visited North Korea's main Yongbyon nuclear complex and said disablement was moving as fast as possible.

Hill also met with North Korean officials who told him they would meet an end of year deadline to declare all nuclear programs and materials.

But Hill said there were still differences on what should be included in the declaration. Hill said in discussions about the draft declaration, North Korea, known officially as the DPRK, left out materials, installations, and programs that he said should be included.

"We do not want a declaration that arrives and that immediately people see what is missing," said Hill. "So, the DPRK is under an obligation to provide a complete and correct declaration. So, we wanted to discuss what we believe is necessary for complete and correct."

Hill would not give details of what exactly he believes North Korea left out of the planned declaration. But, it is likely to involve the long-standing U.S. accusation that North Korea has been running a secret uranium enrichment program in addition to its publicly acknowledged plutonium program.

After the U.S. presented evidence of the program in 2002, North Korea promptly withdrew from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, kicked U.N. nuclear inspectors out of the country, and re-started its plutonium nuclear reactor.

In October last year, Pyongyang used nuclear material from its plutonium reactor in a successful test of its first nuclear bomb and is now believed to have produced enough nuclear material for several more bombs.

Six-nation talks involving North and South Korea, the United States, China, Japan, and Russia started in 2003 to de-nuclearize North Korea and earlier this year produced a plan.

In return for disabling, and eventually giving up, all its nuclear programs and materials, North Korea is to receive much needed fuel oil, aid, and diplomatic recognition.

Hill said he would meet with Chinese officials Thursday to discuss scheduling for the next round of six-nation negotiations before heading Friday to Japan.

He said the talks were supposed to resume this month but might have to be pushed back to January because of scheduling conflicts and the Christmas holiday.

ENDS

More: Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news