World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


CIA Chief Faces More Questions On Videotapes


CIA Chief Faces More Questions on Destruction of Videotapes

The head of the Central Intelligence Agency is facing a second day of questioning on Capitol Hill about the destruction of videotapes of interrogations of suspected terrorists.

CIA Director Michael Hayden is testifying before the U.S. House Intelligence Committee in a closed-door session Wednesday morning. Hayden appeared Tuesday before the Senate Intelligence Committee.

After his testimony Tuesday, Hayden told reporters that others know far more than he does about the issue, including his predecessors, George Tenet and Porter Goss.

Tenet headed the agency in 2002, when the tapes were first made, while Goss was director when the tapes were destroyed in 2005.

Hayden told CIA employees last week the tapes were destroyed to protect the identity of the interrogators.

The Justice Department and the CIA are conducting a joint inquiry into the matter. Congressional Democrats are demanding Attorney General Michael Mukasey appoint a special prosecutor to investigate.

In a nationally televised interview Tuesday, President Bush said he did not learn that the tapes had been destroyed until Hayden briefed him last week.

In media interviews, former CIA officer John Kiriakou said the agency had used a simulated drowning technique on a senior al-Qaida suspect, Abu Zubaydah, and that it provided key intelligence that prevented a number of terror attacks.

Kiriakou said he believes the technique, known as "waterboarding," is torture. Congressional critics allege the tapes were destroyed to hid evidence of illegal torture.

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino Tuesday said the United States does not torture, and that the CIA interrogation program is lawful, tough, safe and effective.

ENDS

SEE: Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives | RSS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news