World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

DRC: Kivu Armed Groups Urged To Surrender


DR Congo: UN-backed campaign urges Kivu armed groups to surrender

The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is assisting the Government in a new sensitization campaign encouraging all remaining armed groups in North and South Kivu provinces - where fighting has escalated in recent months leading to a dire humanitarian situation - to surrender.

The campaign was launched by the Government on 1 January and comes ahead of a conference, set to begin on Sunday in the North Kivu capital of Goma, aimed at bringing peace and development to the troubled eastern region of the DRC.

Hundreds of thousands of civilians have been forced to flee their homes in North Kivu in recent months after fighting intensified between Government troops and rebels allied with the dissident army general, Laurent Nkunda.

The UN mission in the DRC, known as MONUC, is assisting the Government in its efforts to reach the remaining foreign combatants in the Kivu provinces. The mission's Disarmament, Demobilisation, Repatriation, Resettlement and Reintegration (DDRRR) division will be using radio broadcasts and leaflets encouraging them to surrender and return home.

The mission has 18 mobile radio teams, on the ground in both provinces, who have a broad knowledge of the foreign combatants and their location, said Ndiaga Diagne, a MONUC DDRRR officer based in Goma.

"Our role is to support the DRC Government with all the means and expertise at our disposal. We are ready to assist contacts between the DRC Government representatives and the FDLR [Forces Démocratiques de Libération du Rwanda] on the ground, in order to have the most complete sensitisation possible," he explained.

He added that there are approximately 8,000 foreign combatants remaining in the Kivu provinces - 6,000 in North Kivu and 2,000 in South Kivu. "The majority of foreign combatants in the Kivus are FDLR combatants from Rwanda."

The campaign is also aimed at Congolese armed combatants in the Kivus - the majority of whom are Nkunda rebels and Mai Mai factions - and the respective Disarmament Demobilisation and Reintegration (DDR) programme.

Last year, nearly 13,900 Congolese combatants were disarmed. Many ex-fighters from armed groups are retrained to form part of the national armed forces of the DRC (FARDC) through a process known as brassage.

MONUC has also assisted in repatriating some 800 foreign combatants and their dependants from the DRC last year.

ENDS

Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives | RSS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Werewolf: Gordon Campbell On North Korea, Neo-Nazism, And Milo

With a bit of luck the planet won’t be devastated by nuclear war in the next few days. US President Donald Trump will have begun to fixate on some other way to gratify his self-esteem – maybe by invading Venezuela or starting a war with Iran. More>>

Victory Declared: New Stabilisation Funding From NZ As Mosul Is Retaken

New Zealand has congratulated the Iraqi government on the successful liberation of Mosul from ISIS after a long and hard-fought campaign. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Current US Moves Against North Korea

If Martians visited early last week, they’d probably be scratching their heads as to why North Korea was being treated as a potential trigger for global conflict... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Lessons From Corbyn’s Campaign

Leaving partisan politics aside – and ignoring Jeremy Corbyn’s sensational election campaign for a moment – it has to be said that Britain is now really up shit creek... More>>

ALSO:

Another US Court: Fourth Circuit Rules Muslim Ban Discriminatory

ACLU: Step by step, point by point, the court laid out what has been clear from the start: The president promised to ban Muslims from the United States, and his executive orders are an attempt to do just that. More>>

ALSO: