More Community Projects This Year - Bainimarama
More Community Projects This Year - PM
Government will develop and implement more community projects this year to improve people’s lives particularly in rural areas and outer islands, says Prime Minister Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama.
He made the remarks as the Office of the Prime Minister embarks on a new set of projects to be funded and implemented this year.
Road upgrading in Nukurua/Vatukarasa and Naikini/Natoaika/Delaidamu are major projects expected to ease commuting problems for school children, farmers and travelers in the areas. These concerned road upgrading will cost $4million when fully completed.
The Interim Government’s commitment to better education for all will see the continuation of the construction of Thomas Baker Memorial Junior Secondary School at Nanoko in the interior of Ba Province, and other school development projects like Nabudrau / Nabitu School,
New projects expected soon are the Construction of Navuso Linking Bridge, the Relocation of Navua Hospital and the Construction of a jetty at Yasawa-I Rara.
The Office of Prime Minister will soon provide a Cocoa Grinding Machine and Generator to Namau village in Tailevu, which is famous for its cocoa plantation and chocolate production.
“ The Interim Government has facilitated 114 projects alone, valued at $438,497.04 up until 31 December 2007. The 114 projects span across the four divisions from the Central, Eastern, Northern and Western,” said PM
“ The total costing for the completed projects alone is approximately $100,308.54 and $338,188.50 for the remaining projects, to be completed by the first half of the year.
“ In 2007, 22 of the completed projects were located in the Central Division, 14 in the Eastern, 1 in the Northern and 14 in the Western Division”
PM Bainimarama said worthwhile examples include in Vanualevu village in Tailevu where his Office facilitated $2,152.00 in the purchase of building materials to upgrade the floor of their community hall.
“ This assistance was instrumental and timely, that when Tropical Cyclone Gene struck, this community hall was used as an Evacuation Centre for 23 people.”
“ The Office assisted Nasamila District School which hosted the 10th Fiji National Scouts Jamboree last year by facilitating the purchase of 2 X 5,000 litres of water tanks worth $3,975.16 and leveled their playground.
“ We also facilitated in the purchase of new photocopy machines for Namara District School, Noco Junior Secondary School, Nuku Catholic Primary School and Wainimakutu Junior Secondary School.
Government will soon handover a boat to service Cikobia and nearby Coastal villagers. This project is worth more than $160,000.
“We also undertake numerous community-based projects ranging from education assistance to schools, water and electricity supply, village and settlement development projects, women’s projects, sanitation for community facilities in villages and settlements, to income generating projects.”
Some projects completed in 2007 under Small Grants Scheme (SGS) are as follows under their divisions.
Naila Village, Bau, Tailevu 1.4km length drainage
improvement work worth $4,200.00 was constructed and
• 37 11/10/07 Nuku Catholic Primary School, Nuku, Serua $1,099.00 used to purchase Computer and printer which has been handed over to school.
• Raiwaqa Cemetery, Navua $3,549.12 given for Building materials for road and crematorium upgrading.
• Ratu Latianara College, Korovisilou, Serua 50 sets desk/chairs worth $2,750.00.
• Veinuqa District School, Wainilotulevu, Namosi Photocopy machine. Worth $2,500.00 bought and handed over to school.
• Mau Village, Veivatuloa, Namosi 2 x brushcutters worth $1,298.00 bought and handed over to community.
• Naivuruvuru Village, Verata, Tailevu 2 x 5,000 litres water tanks worth $2,815.16 bought, installed and now in use.
• Wainawa Village, Rewa Construction of 300metres new drains worth $2,950.00
• Togalevu Village, Rewa Construction of 400metres new drains worth $3,650.00
• Vunidakua Settlement, Tamavua Building materials for completion of community hall/evacuation centre worth $4,000.00
• Fiji Scouts Association Campsite, Colo-i-Suva Building materials for the construction of a water tank base worth $1,50500
• Caubati Methodist Circuit, Sector #3, Caubat, Nasinu 1 x brushcutter worth $629.00 bought and handed over to community.
• Jolmea Settlement, Rotuma 1 x 5,000 litres water tank worth $1,407.58
• Matu'ea Settlement, Rotuma 2 x 5,000 litres water tanks worth $2,815.16
• Kavala Village, Nakasaleka, Kadavu Building materials for construction of village footpath worth $2,423.40 which is now in use by villagers.
• Navotu Village, Sanima, Kadavu Building materials for construction of village footpath worth $1,854.00
• Drue Village Youth Group, Sanima, Kadavu Gardening tools, weedicide and roofing iron to start agricultural project worth $4,529.50 and now being used by recepients for farming.
• Nakodu Mudu Primary School, Koro, Lomaiviti 6.0KVA generator worth $5,500.00 bought and handed over to school and is in use now.
• Mua Village, Batiki, Lomaiviti 1 x 10,000 litres water tank worth $2,498.27
• Levuka Marist Convent Primary School, Levuka Copier/printer worth $4,200.00 handed to school
• Wairiki District School, Navakuru, Wairiki, Cakaudrove Building materials for maintenance work & 20 sets desks/chairs worth $6,674.10 and all have been delivered to school.
• Vatutoko Primary School, Nabuyanitu Village, Navosa 40 sets school desks/chairs for newly established primary school worth $3,199.95. Desks and chairs handed over to school management by PA Nadroga/Navosa.
• Vaivai Indian School, Lautoka Building materials for construction of sheltered walkway worth $1,701.44 Walkway now in use.
• Navula Settlement, Lautoka Building materials to repair the Navula Farming Community Hanging Bridge worth $2,077.00 Hanging bridge now in use.
• Nasaucoko Village, Namataku, Nadroga Building materials for maintenance to water supply system worth $1,295.40 Maintenance work satisfactorily completed.
• Nalebaleba Village, Bemana, Navosa 2 x brushcutters worth $1,298.00
• Keiyasi Village, Navosa 1 x brushcutter worth $649.00
• Nadrau Village, Nadrau, Tavua 2 x 5,000 litres water tanks plus fittings worth $4,900.30 Tanks delivered and installed.
• Navosa Central College, Namataku, Navosa 1 x 1.4KVA generator and a brushcutter worth $2,299.00
• Vuniyasi District School, Dratabu Village, Nadi 1 x fax machine/copier and 8 sets teachers desks/chairs worth $3,249.00