World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

ICC Suspends Case Against Congolese Rebel Chief

International Criminal Court suspends case against Congolese rebel militia chief

16 June 2008 - The International Criminal Court (ICC) has suspended proceedings against the Congolese rebel militia leader Thomas Lubanga Dyilo, accused of recruiting child soldiers, after finding that prosecutors had failed to disclose more than 200 documents to the defence that have the potential to prove Mr. Lubanga's innocence.

The ICC trial chamber, which sits in The Hague, imposed the stay on the case on Friday and announced that the trial process will remain halted unless the stay is lifted. A hearing will now be held on 24 June to consider whether Mr. Lubanga should be released from custody.

Mr. Lubanga, the founder and leader of the Union of Congolese Patriots in the Ituri region of the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), has been charged with a series of war crimes, including conscripting and enlisting child soldiers into the military wing of his group and then using them to participate in hostilities between September 2002 and August 2003.

The judges said they had decided to stay the proceedings because the failure of prosecutors to disclose the documents they had in their possession - which contained "a significant body of exculpatory evidence" - to defence lawyers had the effect of "improperly inhibiting the opportunities for the accused to prepare his defence."

The judges added that the disclosure of exculpatory evidence held by prosecutors is a fundamental aspect of the accused's right to a fair trial.

The trial of Mr. Lubanga was due to have been the first to be held by the ICC, and it had been scheduled to begin next Monday.

ENDS

Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives | RSS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Werewolf: Gordon Campbell On North Korea, Neo-Nazism, And Milo

With a bit of luck the planet won’t be devastated by nuclear war in the next few days. US President Donald Trump will have begun to fixate on some other way to gratify his self-esteem – maybe by invading Venezuela or starting a war with Iran. More>>

Victory Declared: New Stabilisation Funding From NZ As Mosul Is Retaken

New Zealand has congratulated the Iraqi government on the successful liberation of Mosul from ISIS after a long and hard-fought campaign. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Current US Moves Against North Korea

If Martians visited early last week, they’d probably be scratching their heads as to why North Korea was being treated as a potential trigger for global conflict... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Lessons From Corbyn’s Campaign

Leaving partisan politics aside – and ignoring Jeremy Corbyn’s sensational election campaign for a moment – it has to be said that Britain is now really up shit creek... More>>

ALSO:

Another US Court: Fourth Circuit Rules Muslim Ban Discriminatory

ACLU: Step by step, point by point, the court laid out what has been clear from the start: The president promised to ban Muslims from the United States, and his executive orders are an attempt to do just that. More>>

ALSO: