World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

US Sends Navy Ship To Assist M/V Princess Rescue

US sends navy ship to assist in search and rescue of victims of M/V Princess -- Palace

Manila, June 23 (PNA) -- The United States government has sent its navy ship here to assist the authorities in its search and rescue operations in the waters off Sibuyan Island where M/V Princess of the Stars sank.

Press Secretary Jesus Dureza, who is currently in Washington D.C. with President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, in a text message on Monday, said US Ambassador to the Philippines Kristie Kenney just informed him that a US Navy Ship is now on its way towards Sibuyan Island where the incident happened.

"The US vessel is expected to be on site within the next 15 hours and will assist authorities in its search and rescue operations," he said.

Dureza said the President, who just landed in Washington D.C., has been closely monitoring the situation in the Philippines who just experienced the onslaught of typhoon "Frank" (international codename: Fengshen).

He said President Arroyo has called for a meeting with the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC), at 3 p.m. (Manila time), together with the Departments of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), Energy (DoE), and Education (DepEd); and the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) to get updates on the rehabilitation and relief assistance to typhoon victims.

She again will be conducting another meeting at 6 p.m. Monday (Manila time) -- either via teleconference or video conference -- with the Departments of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), and Health (DoH); Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC), and the PCG.

-- By Lilybeth G. Ison

ENDS

Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives | RSS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Werewolf: Gordon Campbell On North Korea, Neo-Nazism, And Milo

With a bit of luck the planet won’t be devastated by nuclear war in the next few days. US President Donald Trump will have begun to fixate on some other way to gratify his self-esteem – maybe by invading Venezuela or starting a war with Iran. More>>

Victory Declared: New Stabilisation Funding From NZ As Mosul Is Retaken

New Zealand has congratulated the Iraqi government on the successful liberation of Mosul from ISIS after a long and hard-fought campaign. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Current US Moves Against North Korea

If Martians visited early last week, they’d probably be scratching their heads as to why North Korea was being treated as a potential trigger for global conflict... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Lessons From Corbyn’s Campaign

Leaving partisan politics aside – and ignoring Jeremy Corbyn’s sensational election campaign for a moment – it has to be said that Britain is now really up shit creek... More>>

ALSO:

Another US Court: Fourth Circuit Rules Muslim Ban Discriminatory

ACLU: Step by step, point by point, the court laid out what has been clear from the start: The president promised to ban Muslims from the United States, and his executive orders are an attempt to do just that. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 
 
  • Pacific.Scoop
  • Cafe Pacific
  • PMC