G8 Hokkaido: Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy PDF
Disarmament, Non-Proliferation and Science
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Hokkaido Toyako Summit -Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy and the "3S"- July 2008
International situation surrounding nuclear energy
* Uses of nuclear power generation
* Ensuring the "3S"
-- The task is to strengthen measures for ensuring 3S against the background of possible increase in the uses of nuclear power generation
Increase in the number of countries interested in introduction/expansion of nuclear power generation
* Countermeasure against climate change (CO2 emissions of nuclear power generation are 1/34 those of oilfired generation)
* Energy security (expanding demand, rising crude oil prices)
The 3S to be ensured in the uses of nuclear power generation
* Safeguards (against proliferation)
* Safety (of nuclear energy)
* Security (against nuclear terrorism)
(Note) As climate change and the rapidly expanding demand for energy become significant problems, there is a growing interest in nuclear energy, which is nonfossil fuel energy, does not emit CO2 in the process of combustion of energy for electricity generation, and produces low levels of CO2 emissions over its lifecycle as a whole. Amidst this trend, an increasing number of countries are considering introduction or expansion of nuclear power plants.
Countries and regions proposing to newly introduce nuclearpower generation
As of May 22, 2008
Countries and regions proposing to expand nuclear power generation
As of May 23, 2008
Outcomes to be achieved at the Hokkaido Toyako Summit
* To set out the importance of ensuring the 3S in the peaceful uses of nuclear energy .
* To affirm the benefits of international cooperation in this field, while recognizing that the responsibilities of ensuring the 3S rest with countries interested in nuclear energy.
* To confirm that the G8 should play an active role in the promotion of international cooperation in this field.
* To raise awareness of the importance of the 3S worldwide and promote assistance aimed at developing 3S and relevant infrastructure through international cooperation.
Japan's assistance performance
Japan has hosted the Seminar on the IAEA Additional Protocol in Vietnam (August 2007) as well as Asian Senior-level Talks on Non-Proliferation (ASTOP), in addition, Japan participated in events such as IAEA Technical Meetings on Additional Protocol in the Asia-Pacific region.
3. Nuclear security
In addition to carrying out technical cooperation and provision of equipment to Kazakhstan, Japan has hosted the Seminar on Strengthening Nuclear Security in Asian countries. Japan has also emphasized the importance of nuclear security at such fora as the Seminar on the Promotion of Accession to the International Counter-Terrorism Conventions and Protocols and others.