World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

ICC: Good Progress Amid Missteps in First 5 Years

International Criminal Court Has Made Good Progress Amid Missteps in First Five Years; Court Needs Continuing International Support for Challenges Ahead

(The Hague, July 11, 2008) - The International Criminal Court (ICC) has made notable progress in bringing justice for the worst crimes despite mistakes in policy and practice, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today that assesses the court's first five years. Human Rights Watch urged greater international support of the ICC to meet the political and financial challenges ahead.

The 244-page report, "Courting History: The Landmark International Criminal Court's First Years," examines the ICC's accomplishments and shortcomings since it began operations in 2003. The court was created to bring justice to the victims of gross human rights violations; so far the court has issued arrest warrants against suspects in four countries, though none have yet been tried.

"The International Criminal Court has made real headway in bringing justice to the victims of horrible abuses in the face of daunting obstacles," said Richard Dicker, International Justice Program director at Human Rights Watch. "But the court should tackle real shortcomings so that its work resonates in the communities most affected by major international crimes."

In addition to progress in investigations, Human Rights Watch identified the court's viable witness protection programs and efforts to provide meaningful support to defendants and to implement a complicated system of victims' participation in proceedings as illustrations of the court's achievements to date.

Human Rights Watch also found that in establishing an unprecedented judicial institution, ICC officials have made mistakes. Recently, the trial chamber suspended the trial of Thomas Lubanga, a Congolese warlord accused of enlisting, recruiting, and using children as soldiers, because of the prosecutor's inability to turn over potentially exculpatory information to the court. Other shortcomings include the court's slowly evolving approach to outreach and certain problematic investigative policies of the prosecutor. The report makes recommendations to address these and other concerns.

Human Rights Watch's field work with members of affected communities in the Democratic Republic of Congo, northern Uganda, and eastern Chad revealed many issues and perceptions about the ICC's work among these communities. In some instances, such as in Congo, there is legitimate criticism of the prosecutor's strategy for selecting cases.

"Moving forward, we look to court officials to learn from their slow start and to improve their interaction and engagement with communities most affected by the crimes in the court's jurisdiction," said Dicker. "These are, after all, the communities that the ICC was created to serve."

July 17, 2008 marks the 10-year anniversary of the Rome Statute establishing the International Criminal Court in The Hague. Human Rights Watch emphasized that the international community should provide the ICC with the diplomatic support it needs, including enforcing its arrest warrants. The group also emphasized the need for states parties to continue to provide the court with the necessary financial support.

"Ten years ago, 120 states made a pledge that victims of the worst atrocities could find justice at the world's first-ever permanent criminal court," said Dicker. "It is now up to the court's states parties and to the UN to throw their weight behind the court so that it can meet the challenges ahead."

Background

The ICC prosecutor has opened investigations in the Democratic Republic of Congo, northern Uganda, the Darfur region of Sudan, and the Central African Republic. Based on those investigations, 12 arrest warrants have been issued.

To date, four of these defendants are in ICC custody in The Hague, including Jean-Pierre Bemba, former vice-president of the Congo, in relation to alleged crimes committed in the Central African Republic.

The ICC's trial against Thomas Lubanga - the first trial in the court's history - was scheduled to begin in June 2008 but has been suspended indefinitely because of the prosecution's inability to disclose exculpatory information to the court and because of the trial chamber's concerns that he would not receive a fair trial as a result.

ENDS

Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives | RSS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Werewolf: Gordon Campbell On North Korea, Neo-Nazism, And Milo

With a bit of luck the planet won’t be devastated by nuclear war in the next few days. US President Donald Trump will have begun to fixate on some other way to gratify his self-esteem – maybe by invading Venezuela or starting a war with Iran. More>>

Victory Declared: New Stabilisation Funding From NZ As Mosul Is Retaken

New Zealand has congratulated the Iraqi government on the successful liberation of Mosul from ISIS after a long and hard-fought campaign. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Current US Moves Against North Korea

If Martians visited early last week, they’d probably be scratching their heads as to why North Korea was being treated as a potential trigger for global conflict... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Lessons From Corbyn’s Campaign

Leaving partisan politics aside – and ignoring Jeremy Corbyn’s sensational election campaign for a moment – it has to be said that Britain is now really up shit creek... More>>

ALSO:

Another US Court: Fourth Circuit Rules Muslim Ban Discriminatory

ACLU: Step by step, point by point, the court laid out what has been clear from the start: The president promised to ban Muslims from the United States, and his executive orders are an attempt to do just that. More>>

ALSO: