Israel OKs Agreement On Release Of Israeli Soldier
Israeli Government approves agreement on release of Israeli soldiers in Lebanon
13 July 2008 -- The Israeli government on Sunday, 29 June 2008, approved the outline of the agreement to release the abducted soldiers in Lebanon: Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev along with remains from the Second Lebanon War will be returned, and a report on the disappearance of Ron Arad will be delivered to Israel.
DM Ehud Barak (July 13): "The report on Ron Arad as conveyed by Hizbullah does not provide a clear answer as to his fate, and does not resolve the case. We are committed to continue our efforts to clarify his fate. Despite this, as Minister of Defense and as a former commander in chief and officer, it is my moral and military obligation to continue to advance the return of Eldad Regev and Udi Goldwasser."
Israel Prison Service (July 13): Samir Kuntar and four illegal Lebanese fighters currently held by Israel will be released to Lebanon on Wednesday June 16, 2008.
Main points of the framework of the agreement on the release of Israel's missing and captive soldiers in Lebanon (29 Jun 2008 )
(Communicated by the Prime Minister's Media Adviser)
The Government today (Sunday), 29 June 2008, approved the outline for the agreement on releasing the abducted soldiers in Lebanon:
1. The abducted soldiers Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev will be returned to Israel, a report on the disappearance of Ron Arad (in continuation of Government decision #978 from 9 November 2003) will be delivered to Israel and remains from the Second Lebanon War will also be received.
In exchange for the return of the abducted soldiers, the State of Israel will release prisoners and detainees being held in its prison facilities, and will transfer bodies and information, as follows:
* A. Prisoner Samir Kuntar and four illegal Lebanese fighters being held by Israel will be released to Lebanon.
* B. The bodies of dozens of infiltrators and terrorists, including eight members of Hizbullah, will be delivered to Lebanon.
* C. Information on the four missing Iranian diplomats will be delivered to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
* D. Following the implementation of the deal, Palestinian prisoners will be released. The number and identities of the prisoners will be determined at the sole discretion of the State of Israel.
2. Mr. Ofer Dekel, the official responsible for the negotiations on behalf of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, will continue the process of implementing the negotiations according to the principles detailed in this decision.
3. The Government will hold an additional discussion in order to complete and implement the agreement according to the principles detailed in this decision.
4. The Government of Israel reiterates and confirms its obligation to exhaust all that is required in order to obtain credible and solid information that will shed light on the fate of Israel Air Force navigator Capt. Ron Arad.
5. At the same time, the Government of Israel reiterates and confirms its commitment to continue acting for the release of Cpl. Gilad Shalit.
6. The Government of Israel will not slacken in its efforts to locate and bring home the missing and those Israeli soldiers whose resting place is unknown.